Author Topic: Jack Phillips from Wales to New Zealand COMPLETED  (Read 4284 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Phillips from Wales to New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 September 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
There was another John Morris Phillips born about the same time in Ruabon, Wrexham, Denbighshire, he appears in all the cenuses and married a Letitia in 1902. However, as the regimental number on the discharge papers you found is the same as the one on his grave, I think we can be sure that you have the correct one ie in one born in Talgarth. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 September 14 01:10 BST (UK) »
He first appears on the ER's in 1928

John Morris Phillips    1928    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay    
John Morris Phillips    1938    Masterton    Wellington    
John Morris Phillips    1946    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay    
John Morris Phillips    1949    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay    
John Morris Phillips    1954    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay    
John Morris Phillips    1957    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay

Is this his wife?

Lily Phillips    1928    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay
Lily Phillips    1938    Masterton    Wellington
Lily Phillips    1949    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay
Lily Phillips    1954    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay
Lily Phillips    1957    Wairarapa    Wellington; Manawatu-Wanganui; Hawke's Bay

Cheers Janette

Offline cp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 September 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am blown away by the information I have woken up to today, thank you so much to you both for helping me with this.

Groom, the only thing that worries me about the papers is the fact that the number on the grave is the number that has been crossed out however following the information from Janette it would appear that because of the ER showing a Lily in the correct area I think I am happier about it. I was not sure if once you are given a Reg number in the army you keep it for life?

Janette, what can I say? You are so kind to do so much research on my behalf, it all looks amazing! thank you.
I am just about to go out for a few hours but can't wait to get back and start looking into this.

Can you tell me where you got the information -  Added: After 14.6.1919 as his address then was 24, Kensington Road, Reading, Berkshire.

Does the ER give the names of anyone else in the house?

I will try and order that cert, I haven't looked yet but do think I can order it through a link that you have given me from here in the UK? I guess I can pay with a credit card and they will charge me the exchange rate. Not sure how this works in New Zealand.

Thanks again, must dash,chat soon
Claire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 September 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me where you got the information -  Added: After 14.6.1919 as his address then was 24, Kensington Road, Reading, Berkshire. 

That is on his discharge papers.

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Such an amazing amount found for you in so short a time, but you have had 2 of the best helping you.

I'm joining in with regard to the 2 regimental numbers.  My grandfather first attested in 1899 for the Boer War, but when he signed up again in August 1914 he was issued a different number, therefore both appear on the records found.

Perhaps the same happened with JM Philips.

Just a thought.

Susan

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
As in this example

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 September 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Looking at his service records, he does seem to have been transferred around quite a bit - eg 5th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, Queens RLI, Labour Corp before finally being discharged with malformed feet. There are several numbers that have been crossed out.

Offline cp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 September 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan and thanks for your advice. On the back of it I have now confirmed that he had two numbers Labour Corps 127031  and Highland Light Infantery 69268  I have found his WW1 Medal Index card. I have attached it, are those two medals the standard ones all soldiers get?

You are right Janette & Groom have been amazing!

Thanks again Janette, I have now ordered the death print out and hopefully it will have a son or daughter of John's as the informant.

I had not been able to read the address you found on the discharge papers so thank you so much for that.

So we also know from the discharge papers that he and Lily had a child after 1912 if that is the correct marriage I have found but def before 1919 as it says he had a child on them. I think it is also fair to assume that the child went with them to New Zealand provided the child survived.

I also emailed the cemetery but thank you for doing so too.

This is all so exciting.

Claire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 September 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
It is just so frustrating that we can't find an emigration or immigration record for John or Lily.