Author Topic: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)  (Read 42280 times)

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hexham - The Barron Family - Roman Catholic (part 1)
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 January 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray

That’s the Barron’s! I really don’t want to offend anybody with all these revelations but the way I see it is, this information is already out there so it’s useless to pretend it’s not.  I’m quite sure that none of this stuff was funny at the time, but for me all this information on Anthony Forster Barron, David Barron and anybody else, happened so long ago it’s now nothing except a good story.

You’re quite right about David Barron, Career Criminal, not pleasant. I only included information that was definitely him. For example, he may have been the David Barron of Newcastle who enlisted in Gateshead Police Force in September 1840, and he may have been the David Barron who resigned from Newcastle Police Force in May 1845; there is a good chance he is at least one of these, but we can’t prove anything. Cousins, David Barron 1820-1884 of Newcastle, son of William Barron 1786-1847 later became a long serving Constable in Sunderland Police Force, and David Barron 1805-1868, son of Thomas Barron 1763-1846, later resided in Gateshead, so either of these could be candidates?

With this in mind it does beg the question of how David Barron continually kept one step ahead of the law for so long on so many things? How he never seemed to be present when Police raided his premises? How often the premises were never registered in his name? How often he avoided a prison sentence and escaped with a Fine? Did he have contacts tipping him off? The Police? And what about his bootlegging activities? I’m no expert, but I would imagine an operation that big, distribution etc would require manpower, was David Barron actually in charge of a mass criminal gang? The mind could run wild with such speculation.

But there are other incidents that may involve other family members that cannot be absolutely proved.

Ann Young (nee:Barron) 1809-1869, may have been the Ann Young who was gaoled for 6 weeks in March 1866 for theft from a pawnshop.

Mary Barron 1841-1866, daughter of Thomas Barron 1811-1865, (she married John Waller in 1859), may have been the juvenile Mary Barron who was in court for stealing items from a circus in July 1854.

My gg grandfather David Barron 1846-1893, may have been the 19 year old David Barron who was in court for street robbery in March 1866. The only other candidate is Anthony Forster Barron’s son, David Barron born 1847, however I may have found evidence that he was present in London at this time, if there are any descendants of Anthony Forster Barron who are out there it would be great to confirm this (Janet?).

Just to answer your question on David Barron 1846-1893, son of Thomas Barron 1811-1865 and Isabella Barron (nee: Guthrie) 1819-1887.

Thomas Barron 1811-1865 spent a couple of years as a Beer House Keeper in Durham City, David was the only one of his children who was born there, he was baptised in the local Catholic Church. He worked all his life as a riveter in the shipyards. In 1868 he married Margaret Anderson in Newcastle, when she died in 1890 David was left with the children and seems to have had a mental breakdown. In May 1893 he committed suicide by cutting his throat with a razor!

Just an aside from that, Thomas Barron's wife Isabella Barron seems to have slowly drifted into obscurity after he died in 1865, becoming estranged from her family and becoming a permanent inmate in Newcastle Workhouse. David was her only surviving child when she died in 1887, her body was given to the local Medical College for study and then what was left of her was buried in a mass grave in the local cemetery two months later!

These Barron’s are not dull.

Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Barron 1811-1865
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:09 GMT (UK) »
   In view of the last post, I thought it may be of interest to post the rest of the info on Thomas Barron 1811-1865. All these small pieces may help unlock a mystery for somebody.

Baptised 5th September 1811, Cockshaw R.C Chapel, Hexham. The register states that he was born around about the middle of July, the son of David and Frances Barron. His father, David Barron was occupier of Spittal Farm, Haltwhistle at this time. His sponsors were his aunt, Margery Baty and Thomas Barron (either his father’s uncle, Thomas Barron 1763-1846, or his father’s cousin, Thomas Barron 1793-1880, who later became a successful Newcastle butcher).

18th September 1835.  Along with his brother George (1808-1871) he becomes a Newcastle Night Watchman.

6th September 1836. Along with brother William (1813-1892) he enlists as a Police Constable in Newcastle Police Force (there is no further mention of Thomas in the records after this).

5th May 1839. All Saints Church of England, Newcastle upon Tyne, marries Isabella Guthrie, daughter of James Guthrie, a Keelman. Their children were:

1   Frances 1839. Infant.
2   Isabella 1841. Infant.
3   Mary 1841-1866. Married 1859 John Waller.
4   Ann 1843-1863.
5   David James 1846-1893. Shipyard Boiler Riveter. Married 1868 Margaret Anderson.
6   Frances 1848-1886. Married 1865 Robert Scorer.
7   Elizabeth Dorothy 1850-1852. Infant.
8   Thomas 1852-1874. Labourer.

1839. Resident with family at Newgate Street, St Andrews Parish, Newcastle upon Tyne.

June 1839. Newcastle Courant. May have been the Thomas Barron who was assaulted whilst on his way home through Castle Garth, Newcastle upon Tyne.

1841 census. Resident with family at Pudding Chare, St Johns Parish, Newcastle upon Tyne. Is listed in documentation this year as a Publican/Brewer.

circa1845-47. Resident with family at Crossgate, Durham City, County Durham. His son’s birth certificate lists him as a Brewer and he is probably the J Barron (mis-spelling) who is listed as a Brewer at Crossgate in Durham Trades Directory.

1851 census. Resident with family at Chapel Lane, Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne. Listed as a Brewer.

1861 census. Resident with family at Back of George Street, Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne. Now listed as a Contractor for a Cutting Foundation.

circa1863-65. Upon the death of his mother, Frances Barron in 1863. Thomas is listed in the Trades Directory as being the Lodging House Keeper at her old address of St John's Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne.

7th June 1865. Died aged 54 years. Requiem Mass at St Mary’s R.C Church, Newcastle upon Tyne. Buried at Westgate Hill Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne Sec C  No 246.

Upon his death in 1865, Thomas’ youngest son, Thomas Barron (1852-1874) was sentenced for 3 years to Newcastle Ragged School in November 1865 for stealing. The records on Thomas’ character state that he is known for associating with thieves, whilst the information on his family background states, the family is poor, but decent and industrious. Remarks attached to his record state that after his release in 1868 Thomas was doing well and working for Messrs Black, Howe & Thomas of Gateshead.  By 1871 Thomas was back living with his mother, Isabella, but died a single man three years later aged 22 years.

Isabella Barron died in February 1887, her death certificate records her age as 78 but this is 10 years out. She was buried in St John’s Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne, two months after her death.

Patrick

Offline johnlancelotcrozier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick

When you say Isabella's age is '10 years out' - is that for or against her?

Just out of interest, how did you discover her body was given to a 'Local Medical College' for 'study'?

Might her body have been sold to the college?

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray

Good question. You may be right! Maybe the body was sold.

Tyne & Wear Archives is the key.

Isabella Barron died 1st February 1887 of old age at Newcastle Workhouse, the age of 78 years is against her, she was actually 68. The death was registered by a non-family member.

She was buried 30th March 1887 at St John’s Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne, consecrated ground Sec M No 54. Address is listed as Newcastle Workhouse.

Next to her name in the remarks column for the burial register it say’s Medical College.

A look at the Grave Indexes for Sec M No 54 tells us that between the dates of 22nd March 1887 and 13th May 1887 there were seven other bodies from Newcastle Workhouse buried in that same grave, all seven have in the remarks column Medical College.

It would seem that these individuals, (as well as Isabella Barron) all seemed to die in the Workhouse with no dependents and the bodies were sold to the Medical College before being interred later.

Cheers

Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

As I said earlier every little piece could be the missing piece of the jigsaw. On that note I was thinking that it would be useful if this forum developed into a forum for information on descendants of David (1714-1796) & Mary Barron (1722-1769) of Stamfordham, Northumberland. This of course means all the Stamfordham Barron's as well as the USA Barron's and of course our Hexham/Haltwhistle/Newbrough Barron's. Even if people posted to say they were descended.

As it just seems to be you and I discussing at the moment, I was wondering how you felt about starting the ball rolling with some information on John Lancelot Crozier, I know that sometimes there is only census information etc on these characters, but as much or as little as you like would be helpful.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Patrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi Patrick

I understand what you are saying but I don't think the Barron family ancestry will glean anything from it.

As for the Crozier/Barron family I would really like to know.  What happened with the Jane Crosier and George Barron situation - will probably never be answered and how did John Lancelot Crozier acquire his money to purchase so many houses in Islington, North London and what, if any, was the connection with his father George Barron who died in 1871 - again will probably never be answered.

I really can't see too many people looking for ancestry re John Crozier.  Perhaps the only relatives researching, apart from the relatives I know, will be the relatives of Charles Maple and Janet Maria Crozier and their children.

You see, after John Lancelot Crozier and his wife Janet Maria Crozier and one child, also Janet, moved from Newcastle to Islington, North London, they had more children but only two survived and got married - Jessie Marie Crozier and Arthur Alexander Crozier.  However, at some stage, before the 1891 Census, Janet Marie Crozier decided to leave John Crozier and begin a new life with Charles Maple, who according to family history had either been living with the family as a lodger or had been decorating the Crozier house - Halton House - still there but now converted into flats.

However, Janet never divorced John Crozier and never married Charles Maple but she did have 4 children with Charles, Adelaide b1877, Annie b1878, Charles b1880 and Rose b1894.  Janet Maria Crozier died in 1896 and how she survived that long after having so many children by both men, I don't know!

So any descendants out there from Charles Maple and children - 1856-1935 please get in touch.

What a tangled web we weave but isn't it interesting - and as Patrick says, it becomes a story after all this time!

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Just a couple of thoughts

I think you speculated on one posting that the Barron's may have been more actively involved in crime than we know, if this is true you may have your answer there as to where the money the came from.

I mentioned on one post how the descendants of Anthony Forster Barron may have moved to London (circa 1860's). I wonder if this was the same time John L Crozier moved south. Again another connection? Remember, John L Crozier did live with AFB for a time. I would like to see a descendent of Anthony Forster Barron come up with the answer though rather than fly off in the wrong direction.

Just one question. When did John L Crozier die?

Patrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »

Patrick

I hear what you say - that would be interesting if AFB's descendents came forward.

As you say, it is a story, and my story, until proved differently, is that George Barron, John L Crozier's father, was the 'Godfather' and he controlled the money and them!  He was a shipowner!  Do you know anything more about that?

JLC died in 1906 aged 68 leaving over £4000 in money to his only son, apart from everything else.  His son A A Crozier had an excellent education and attracted his 1st wife - an actress called Minnie Jeffs - famous for her day - as a Stage Door Johnny! 

Will give some thought about the greater possibilities.

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
That's great!!!

That certainly paints a bigger picture of John L Crozier and his descendants, they seemed quite a flamboyant bunch.

I have a fair amount of information on George Barron (1808-1871), but for a man like him there must be so much more out there, in particular his shipping affairs, that definitely needs to be looked into.

Patrick