Author Topic: B W Varney Oxford Phone Books 1880-1984  (Read 3704 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
B W Varney Oxford Phone Books 1880-1984
« on: Friday 05 September 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace Bertram William Varney (born 1892 on the Isle of Wight) after 1911.

I can see that there is a BW Varney listed in these phone books and would be really grateful if anyone can expand on any of these entries for me to give me a bit more of a clue!

Many Many thanks

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: B W Varney Oxford Phone Books 1880-1984
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Wrong man - see above.

I believe his father was William George VARNEY,from the 1901 census.

This may be him,from the National Probate Calendar.

William George (otherwise George Charles) VARNEY of 199 Waye Avenue Cranford Middx,died 11 Jan 1943 at 30 Twickenham Road Isleworth Middx. Administation London 29th Sept to Kate Varney widow.

Effects £510.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you- William George Varney was Bertram's father but he died in Windsor in 1939.

I am really struggling to find Bertram willam Varney (born 1892 Isle Of Wight) after the 1911 Census- any ideas?

caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
Ah that's a shame as the one I found was also married to a Kate  ;D

I was hoping that the Probate may have named his son (or daughter,who I also can't find?).

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
In the GRO Marine Indexes on Find MY Past there is a 21 year old Bert Varney who died in 1913,on board the Montreal at sea.

On a further index it shows him as of 6 Granville Road Cowes,sounds like your man doesn't it?

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol- this has been a very long and frustrating search with this family for the last 10 years- but I have the death cert for my william george Varney (1939 Sunninghill) which shows a normal residential address on the Isle of Wight which links to previous Census records etc where he is to be found with wife Kate and 2 children- Bertram (1892) and Martha (1897),

Many thanks for trying- I think maybe I will have to see if I can find passport applications for Bertram and his sister Martha Kate Varney. Martha Kate was present at the death of her mother Kate Varney in Sunninghill in 1945- but I wonder if Bertam possibly emigrated before that time and then his siter emigrated to join him after the death of their mother in 1945.

Challenging!!!

Caroline

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
As you will now see below I have found his 1913 death.

Just to add a bit of background.Passports weren't really needed much before the 1920's.
So I doubt you'd find Martha applying for one.

Carol

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Carol- bullseye!!! So poor old Bertram died at sea in 1913- I wonder where he was heading? Emigrating to Canada possibly?
Many thanks!!

Now to find out about his sister Martha Kate Varney- she was wtih her mother when she died in 1945 and gave her address as being Pinewood House, Larch Avenue, Sunninghill- the address where her mother died during the night of 18/19th October 1945.

She was still a spinster but cannot locate a later marriage or death- so I wonder what happened to her?

Are there any records I can consider looking at to work out what Martha Kate Varney did between 1911 census and where I have her placed in 1945? Or any records I could consider for her after 1945?
Very excited- as almost there!!!!! :)  Thank you so very much!!

Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: B W Varney Oxford Phone Books 1880-1984-COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol- that has been a brilliant hole knocked through my brick wall!! Just need to find Martha Kate varney after 1945 then i will be able to close the file! :) x