Author Topic: John Taylor, Quarryman, and wife Anna  (Read 1898 times)

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Taylor, Quarryman, and wife Anna
« on: Friday 05 September 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am searching for information on a John Taylor.  On his son's 1892 marriage record he is listed as a quarryman (deceased).  I believe I have located his family in Manchester in 1871- his widow Anne/Anna (born in Ireland), and his children, John H. (age 5) and Susannah (age 13).  There may have been another daughter, Mary Ellen, as there is a Manchester baptism record from 1866 for both Susannah and Mary Ellen listing John Taylor, quarryman, and Anna as parents.  It appears that Anna was remarried to a John Foster, probably in Manchester between 1871 and 1874. I have been unable to locate the John Taylor or his family in 1861.  I also hope to locate a record of either of Anna'a marriages and discover her maiden name.  Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Taylor, Quarryman, and wife Anna
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheerio!

May I just confirm these dates please?

The baptism of Susannah and Mary Ellen seems to be in 1866 -- (although I realise that Susannah may have been baptised late) -- but you say she is shown as 13 in 1871. Is this correct?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, those dates are correct.  I was assuming that Susannah was baptized late.  Hopefully that is the case, or I suppose I have the wrong family.   :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

A John Foster married an Ann Taylor in 1873 at Salford St Simon. (Lancs BMD)

On the ordinary Civil Reg Index this was in Salford Reg District quarter 3.

Of course we don't know if this is your couple -- but to obtain Ann's maiden name - you may be wise to order this marriage certificate. The previous surname of Taylor is much more common than Foster -- hence you may have a problem identifying the birth of one of the Taylor children.

I don't know if the Salford Parish Records are on line -- if they are -- great.
Places of interest;

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Baptism: 16 Sep 1866 St James, New Bury, Farnworth, Lancashire, England
Susannah Taylor - [Child] of John Taylor & Anne
    Abode: District Chapelry of St James New Bury
    Baptised by: C. J. Stewart
also Mary Ellen Taylor same date and parents ...

your 1st post states the baptism is in Manchester ?......was this area of New Bury ,Farnworth in Manchester in 1866 ??
I don`t know the area ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
Garstonite -- I suspect this is the baptism Cheerio has found - with Mary Ellen on the same page. They are included in the Manchester Baptisms on Ancestry -- but these baptisms do cover the surrounding areas as well.

I don't know where New Bury is -- I have never heard of it actually. However if the 1871 census is the correct family -- Susannah, aged 13 is shown as born in Manchester.

This is what I can't understand - the baptisms APPEAR to be in 1866.
The mother Ann - in 1871 - has a lodger with her, who she may have then married -- John Foster. The Mary Ellen, also baptised in 1866 -- isn't present with this family in 1871.

Her maiden name is not known and unfortunately the Manchester section of Lancs BMD doesn't show maiden names.
It's a bit of a mystery really -- is it the right Susannah?
Places of interest;

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 September 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your input. 

That is the baptism I found, however I'm not familiar with the area, either.  I did assume that New Bury was in the Manchester area based on the Ancestry collection title.  Susannah is not living with her mother and step-father in 1881, but I can't locate a marriage record for her, either.  If one exists with her father's name and profession it would answer whether she is the right Susannah.   

Pennines, I may order the certificate for the Salford marriage.  I think some of John Foster's children from his first marriage were born there, so perhaps there is a connection?   

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 September 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Well I have just googled New Bury,Farnworth - and it is Bolton - not Manchester ??

New Bury ,Farnworth Residents Association
George Street The Old Library, Bolton, BL4 9PU

so Susanna and Mary Ellen Taylor were not baptised in Manchester - but could easily have been born there because it looks like they were young girls and not babies when they were baptised ...
so - one problem solved -  ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 September 14 08:48 BST (UK) »

As garstonite has just said Farnworth was at that time in Bolton.  New Ferry was on the border of Bolton and Manchester.

Just to make things a bit more confusing ;D
There is another baptism on Lancsopc which look to be for the same couple
Baptism: 13 Dec 1863 St John the Evangelist, Farnworth with Kearsley, Lancashire, England
Alice Taylor Child of John Taylor & Ann
    Abode: Farnworth
So could Susannah have been given the wrong age on the 1871 census, was she born 1866?
Lancashire BMD show a birth reg for Susannah Taylor 1866. Mary E 1865. Alice 1863 all Farnworth Bolton and with mother's maiden name Wilkinson

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk