Author Topic: Margaret Gotts and William Herbert Feaherston(e)  (Read 2479 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Gotts and William Herbert Feaherston(e)
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have a Margaret Gotts born 1872 at West Hartlepool, daughter of a Henry Gotts and Elizabeth Martindale.

Margaret married in 1890 at Hartlepool a William Herbert Featherston or Featherstone. In 1891 they had a son Frederick Victor Featherstone who I think was known as Victor?

Have found them on the 1891 Census at Stranton, Hartlepool living with Margarets widowed mother and siblings, but then nothing after that?

William Herbert Featherstone gives his place of birth as East Hartlepool and around 1867/1868, occupation Ships Cook.

The only reference I can find for Victor Featherstone is of a one being born circa 1891, and died 1893 at Concord, North Carolina, USA?

Any help much appreciated! :D

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Gotts and William Herbert Feaherston(e)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Just to update have found this family! William Herbert Featherstone is actually William Herbert Feathertone Normandale. For some reason he is listed as Featherstone when he married his wife Margaret Gotts in 1890, and is also listed as Featherstone on the 1891 census, however by 1911 his surname is Normandale! :D

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Was just going to post and ask you if they had changed their name as several trees have him listed as Frederick Victor Featherstone Normandale  ???
He is in 1901 /1911 census as Normandale ..this might be a birth Frederick Victor F Normandale B 18/1/1890 Baptism 10/2/1891 Burbank St Chapel West Hartlepool tree has him married to a Olivia Smith died 1939 Durham

Offline wpaulf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have any use for this piece of information
South Durham Herald
West Hartlepool
9 April 1881
                                        THE THEFT OF RABBIT SKINS
Joseph Featherstone (13), and William Herbert Featherstone were charged, on remand from Wednesday, with stealing two rabbit skins, the property of William Lancaster. the lads knocked the skins from a nail on which they were hanging, put them under their jackets, and ran away. Joseph was ordered six strokes and William Herbert four.

I also have the marriage place of Margaret and W.H. in St James, West Hartlepool

Paul
The Featherstone Society

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
           Many thanks for that. Much appreciated! I am a little confused still with this family as William Herbert is listed as surname Featherstone when he married Margaret Gotts in 1890, and is also listed as Featherstone on the 1891 census, however all other census returns and information give his surname as Normandale? Do you have any idea why?

Any help much appreciated! :D

Offline wpaulf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Gotts and William Herbert Featherston(e)
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Well I don't have a birth record that would fit they are either too early or too late, have you tried searching for a birth in the GRO indexes, with the other surname?

Paul Featherstone
Guild of One Name Studies #2627
Featherstone and variants worldwide