Author Topic: lower sapey  (Read 9823 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: lower sapey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have had another look and there isn't any sign of her!

Might be worth posting specifically to find her, since you know she should be there!  Other eyes may do better than those who have tried so far.

Good luck with the rest of your search

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 November 05 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I think the house was probably Tan house which if I remember correctly was on the Hereford Kidderminster Rd about 7 miles from Bromyard.
I was born and brought up in Tedstone Wafre and my father was born at Harpley which is a small villiage situated about 5 miles out of Bromyard on the Hfd/Kidderminster Rd. It is signposted on the right hand side I know of several surnames Richards, Rosser, Enderby, Dallow Green all living at Harpley but don't recall anyone by the name of Shepperd
At least this might give you an idea of the area

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 November 05 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to ask Do you know the names of the houses they lived at in Harpley/Wolferlow as I know the area reasonably well and have family still living in Wolferlow

Offline abd107951

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 November 05 17:16 GMT (UK) »
The family lived at Whittal cottage, I think this was in wolferlow? between 1861 and 1889, they then moved to the Tan house which i have William and Emma living there in 1901, he was a woodsman, they were the only two living there at the time, and they died around about 1912. I have visited the area, and was shown where the house was by a woman walking a labrador. I took a photograph with the permission of the couple who lived there at the time. a lot of the sons and daughters moved away from the area as far away as Essex. the only one who remained for a while till i could not get any information on was Samuel Sheppard (williams brother) in 1881 he was living in The School house in Clifton on teme. I have a caravan at Knighton on Teme, and often go for walks around the lovely countryside of this area
                                                                                                      len
hughes, billingham,griffin, yarnall,yardley, gill, westwood,  rowley, staffordshire
billingham, bate, worton, westwood, cradley worcestershire,
shepherd, shepperd, lower sapey
fryer,schofield, bermondsey, manchester
ellis, bateman,mid glamorgan

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 November 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Don't recognise the name Whittle Cottage .Sorry I can't help. A truly lovely area of the country though. I already have a printout of the 1901 census and can see Tan House just above the the place I was searching-Green Farm where my father was born. The farm was part of a bog country estate owned by a Mr Evans Maybe your relation worked on this estate.
happy hunting!
Maureen

Offline abd107951

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen
               just thought  i would let you know what i found out the weekend at Worcester record office, in 1841 James Shephard was living with his wife in lower Sapey, She was named Mary Green, and they married at Stanford Bishop 16/3/1806, is this place very far from lower Sapey, her father was James Green who married a Mary Steed on the 10/2/1795 at Stanford Bishop I was wondering if these places ring a bell,
                                                                    glen
hughes, billingham,griffin, yarnall,yardley, gill, westwood,  rowley, staffordshire
billingham, bate, worton, westwood, cradley worcestershire,
shepherd, shepperd, lower sapey
fryer,schofield, bermondsey, manchester
ellis, bateman,mid glamorgan

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen,

Glad to hear that your trip to the Worcester Records office was successful. I've had a look at Multimap (see link below) and it appears that Stanford Bishop & Lower Sapey are about 6 miles apart.
Lower Sapey & Stanford Bishop 

Lower Sapeys is right at the top of the map in the middle and Stanford Bishop is about a third of the way down just to the left of the middle.

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 December 05 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Harpley is in Worcestershire and Wolferlow is in Herefordshire.
Hope this helps.

Offline louloubaby162

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 November 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Emma Boswell  married William Sheppard in 1866 in Cradley. I believe this is the same william Sheppard that is in your family.

Emma was born in 1847 in Cradley/Dudley.

I would be interested to know if there are any ties here.