Author Topic: Genealogy Software  (Read 2099 times)

Offline KinSeeker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Genealogy Software
« on: Saturday 17 July 04 02:12 BST (UK) »
 :-[ I am not certain if this is the correct forum to ask this question. But I will try. I am trying to help my neighbor whom received a cd of their families 79th family reunion. Based on the paper with the CD they used Gen8 which I assume is Generations Family Tree ver8. When placing the cd in the drive, it shows the cd full with no empty spave yet  bytes used & 0 bytes available.
 ???My question is:  My question is does Generations have a free trial software / shareware. I know they are made by Broderbund, but it won't even work with FTM.

TIA

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy Software
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 04 11:44 BST (UK) »
I'm no expert, but these are my rambling thoughts:  ::)

A CD will show 0 bytes avaiolable becasuse it's already been written to - so it's probably not "full" as such, but that's nothing to worry about.

It appears to me (I might be wrong here) that broderbund might not be selling this softare any more, the link below shows the software, but there is no link to buy it.
http://www.broderbund.com/Product.asp?OID=4147943
I don't think (from their site) that they have a trial shareware version.

What are the actual file names on the CD?

Is there an "Import" facility with FTM - or possibly can you use the import function on another piece of genealogy softwaer that might be shareware?

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.