Author Topic: Using RG numbers to search census areas within Ancestry  (Read 1642 times)

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Using RG numbers to search census areas within Ancestry
« on: Monday 08 September 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me here?

How do I search within an area using the RG no. using the 'New Search' in Ancestry?
I used to be able to do this with old search but can find no way of doing it now. For example at the moment I want to search for all people with the first name John in the area of Reference RG 9, 282 in the 1861 census (Shadwell)

I have mailed Ancestry and received this reply which is not very clear!

"Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to searching with an RG number.
 We’re always sorry to learn that our members had a frustrating experience.  Some of the census records have additional fields that are indexed.  If this option is available for the census you are looking at look for the Advanced search option.  The fields that are indexed for each census.  Like the 1861 Census for instance does not have the option to search with the RG number."
Barnard, Ford, Pett, Moore, Holden, Collison, Kingshott, Lytollis, Kinghorn, Walker, Lightoller, Lightowler.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Using RG numbers to search census areas within Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there

First click on 1861 bottom right of main search page,then on bottom left of next page choose England.
You get this page http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8767

You can then enter John and piece or folio number etc.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
You need to first go to the single database you want to search.

So for example,  select "Search">"Card Catalogue" from the menu at the top,  then search for 1901 Census and select the 1901 Census.  When the search appears you will have the option to Search by a variety of fields, as long as you have "Advanced Search" on (the default I think if you go in by Card Catalogue).

Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you....Easy when you know how!

Next time I'll ask here first, and not waste my time with Ancestry's cut and paste replies!
Barnard, Ford, Pett, Moore, Holden, Collison, Kingshott, Lytollis, Kinghorn, Walker, Lightoller, Lightowler.