Author Topic: Jane Hannah MacDonald nee Friend 'Williamson' Widow, 'St Quintin' Widow Brighton  (Read 1892 times)

Offline JV001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I'm trying to find out more about Jane Hannah MacDonald who lived in Brighton UK and was a charitable woman who gave to build Williamson Cottage Houses for Ladies the RNLI and an endowment for young, old and those in need. She was born 13th Nov 1816 died 3rd Jan 1897 as Jane Hannah St Quintin.

I suspect there are Records in Brighton Record Offices but I live in the South West.

Can anyone help and do some research about her and the charitable activities particularly her Lifeboat donations if there's any information available?

Many thanks in advance.

John

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Hannah MacDonald nee Friend 'Williamson' Widow, 'St Quintin' Widow Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Well, she wasnt a widow when she died.  And she has a London home address (albeit a hotel) even though she died in Sussex.

Getting a copy of her Will might give you some help, to see who she left bequests to.

Probate index entry
Jane Hannah St Quintin of the Alexandra Hotel, Hyde Park Corner, Middx, (wife of William Brandon St Quintin esquire) died 3 Jan 1897 at the Queens Hotel Hastings Sussex. Probate to Friend Lewin esquire and Nathaniel Stevenson Liuetenant general in her Majestys army. Effects £7667 14s 10d
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Hannah MacDonald nee Friend 'Williamson' Widow, 'St Quintin' Widow Brighton
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi John

A copy of her will might be useful.

Details required for an application given by lizdb

Postal applications along with a cheque for £10 should be sent here

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline JV001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the suggestions of the Will and probate, I have completed the form and sent it in, I also managed to find a Charity in her name but there's little detail there other than what the Charity Commission show. Not sure if they retain historic records? I've sent a note to the Trustees of the Charity which is seems hers was linked too. So need to wait and see what comes back.

Any other suggestions or information will be welcome.

Thank you again.

John

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
Have you got the marriage cert?

Jul/Aug/Sep 1891
Elham
Ref 2a 660
William Brandon St Quinton / Jane Hannah MacDonald

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JV001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 September 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello no I haven't got any certs yet, I did the look-up on Ancestry and NewPapers but there seems to be little for someone like Jane having contributed so much.

Also I'm not sure which burial place Jane Hannah St Quintin nee Friend (married Williamson then MacDonald, then St Quintin) was buriedwhen she died in Hastings or Hove where she had lived or Park Lane (London).

Thanks
John

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 September 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
At this stage I would suggest Brighton.

I googled her name and 3 RNLI results turned up all stating that the boats were named after a bequest form Mrs MacDonald of Brighton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline JV001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 20 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone I have now located the information I needed regarding Jane and her Husband/s.