Author Topic: Help with Haplogroups please  (Read 2303 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with Haplogroups please
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi can anybody please give me some advice,

About 5 years ago 2 of us with the same surname undertook a Y string DNA test and got a 43 out off 44 match. Interestingly we still cannot identify our common ancestor.

Can anybody please tell me how from my DNA test results do I identify my haplogroup?

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Regards
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Haplogroups please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
I am very surprised you do not know your haplogroup. This should be basic information your test company provided to you, could you recheck the information they sent you originally to see if it is there? If you are still a client member of that testing company (some provide this service for free) then you could ask them to clarify. If not you could upload your results to a company like ysearch.org to see who you compare with as a short cut to finding your haplogroup, and possibly new relatives.

As to your 43/44 match I am very surprised that you and the other person cannot find your common ancestor as the 43/44 does indicate that you should be tightly related. This is how one site describes a 36/37 match which is actually slightly more remote than the one you have

For example, if you and your match have both tested at the Y-DNA37 level and are a 36/37 match this is a genetic distance of one. You are then considered tightly related.

I guess the next question is how many generations have you gone back and how sure are you the research is accurate (that also means certificates actually telling the truth). I guess you could upgrade your tests to a 67 or 111 marker test to see if the close relationship is maintained or whether you actually have a spurious correlation.

The final thing to consider is the testing company got the samples \ results muddled up or the samples were contaminated
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 14 02:05 BST (UK) »
Which company did you test with? Is this an old AncestryDNA test? You should have received a haplogroup prediction at the time.

There are various free utilities you can use to get a haplogroup prediction:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_tools

Whit Athey's haplogroup predictor is the best one for people of British origin.

You would be better off transferring your results to Family Tree DNA using their third-party transfer program:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/transfer-y-dna-testing-results/

Ancestry have stopped offering Y-DNA tests. They've shut down that part of their website and were planning to destroy all the stored DNA samples.

Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 September 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi both,

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to your comments and questions. The Company used was Genetrack Biolabs in Vancouver Canada. I accept that they are primarily a gentic relationship testing company rather than a genetic family history testing company. However their test results are accepted by the Canadian Courts and this demonstrates to me that there analysis techniques must be robust and reliable. This will probably account for the fact that they did not provide a haplogroup.

Re your comments about not finding a common ancestor. Using a TMRCA calculator on the internet it predicts that at for a 43/44 that:

There is a 50% probability of a common ancestor in 10 genertions
There is a 80% probability of a common ancestor in 18 genertions
There is a 95% probability of a common ancestor in 30 genertions

Documentary wise we have traced back 10 generations.

I would have thought that the predictions of haplogroups from DNA marker tests should be freely available somewhere on the internet

Regards
Brian

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 September 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
I believe GeneTrack are the lab used by GeneBase:

http://www.genebase.com/

It's only the relationship tests (paternity/maternity) that are accepted by courts. A lot of the paternity testing companies do offer ancestry tests as well.  The Y-STR results they report will be accurate, but they can't be used for legal evidence. Haplogroups are only predicted but can be confirmed by additional SNP testing. You'll find some free haplogroup predictors on the ISOGG Wiki page I linked to in my previous post.

Did you not have the option of participating in the Genebase database? I've never heard of a company offering a Y-DNA ancestry test that doesn't give a haplogroup prediction.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 September 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Devon Cruwys,

Thanks for your reply. At the time the DNA tests were undertaken I was still working so I let somebody else make the arrangements. As a result I did not know if there was an option of participating in the Genebase database. I have now retired and want to expand my Family History research to include more DNA testing.

I am interested in the Audley surname and have the website www.audleyfamilyhistory.com

My preference is to try and keep my DNA testing independent from any specific company gain participants through my website and display the results there as well.

I have had a quick look at the ISOGG Wiki page but as I have been looking after my two year old Grandson today I have not had time to put the data into all of the haplogroup predictors but those predictors look to me to be the way forward

What I have learnt from this exchange is that:
1.    Haplogroups from Y string DNA are only predictions

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 September 14 21:21 BST (UK) »
OOPs pressed wrong key so continued below:

2.    To get true haologroups requires additional SNP testing
3.    The ISOGG website has haplogroup predictors.

Many thanks for your help

Regards
Brian Audley

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 September 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
Brian

I note that you're a fellow member of the Guild of One-Name Studies. Can I suggest you get in touch with our DNA Adviser, Susan Meates:

http://www.one-name.org/members/DNAsection.html

She will be able to get you sorted out. As a Guild member you can also buy discounted 37-marker Y-DNA tests. See this page in the Members' Room:

http://www.one-name.org/members/sales/DNAkits.html

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 September 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi DevonCruwys,

I will follow up your suggestions

Regards
Brian