Author Topic: "Female" on BMD  (Read 2880 times)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: "Female" on BMD
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks guys...I think I will do what has been said and just stipulate that I only want it if it's a child of Ellen and James...thanks again x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 September 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
That can be risky though. For example,  if mum happened to be recorded as Hellen ('H's can be liberally used or not used in that era) or Eleanor, then they wont send the cert, and you wont ever know that everything else (fathers name, occupation, address etc ) matched perfectly . . .
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 September 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
That can be risky though. For example,  if mum happened to be recorded as Hellen ('H's can be liberally used or not used in that era) or Eleanor, then they wont send the cert, and you wont ever know that everything else (fathers name, occupation, address etc ) matched perfectly . . .

You would get a full refund though, unlike a few years ago when they (illegally!) kept part of the payment as a checking fee.  Although I can't see why you couldn't type in something like "Ellen (or a variation thereof".

Anyway, that is one of the reasons why I prefer to approach the local ROs.  You can often ring them and discuss it on the phone, or set out what you hope to find in a letter.  Bear in mind that online forms are not usually designed for ordering historical certificates, so a letter or phone call is usually the way to go.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.