Author Topic: "Female" on BMD  (Read 2881 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Female" on BMD
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 September 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, but that name would be entered in column 10 of the birth certificate, and as far as I am aware would not be indexed. After the 1874 Act you were allowed 12 months.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 September 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Yeah its not the same person...Oh well, will keep on digging.

Ok thanks Stan...Minnies birth is proving as elusive as her death lol.
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 September 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder is it possible to order the birth certificate of Female Carter, but add a note you only want it if the parents are James & Ellen?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 September 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
I have 3 babies in my tree who were named Female or Male on the birth certs,all of whom survived.

Luckily the surname is quite unusual so I know what the child's name turned out to be in each case.

I imagined it was because they just hadn't chosen the name and maybe had to ask elders in the family for help with that task before baptism occured.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 September 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Josie that's a thought actually  :)
 And thanks carol8353....its got to be my Carter girl! I know she definately existed or I wouldn't be here lol x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 September 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
I think you will have more chance of success by that route if you phone the Monmouth [or wherever] Registrar's Office to check then order it from them rather than the GRO.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/019zz/
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Online Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 September 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder is it possible to order the birth certificate of Female Carter, but add a note you only want it if the parents are James & Ellen?

You can order from the GRO with conditions.  Enter the year, quarter and district, and 'Female Carter' but DO NOT give the reference numbers.  Where you are asked if you know the ref. no., tick 'NO' and you will be taken to a screen where you can give the parents' names or other details.  They will search a year either side, and if no match is found you'll get a full refund.

I would always approach the local Register Office first though, as Josey suggests, as they are often quicker.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 September 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
You can order from the GRO with conditions.  Enter the year, quarter and district, and 'Female Carter' but DO NOT give the reference numbers.  Where you are asked if you know the ref. no., tick 'NO' and you will be taken to a screen where you can give the parents' names or other details.  They will search a year either side, and if no match is found you'll get a full refund.
That's useful information Sloe Gin, thanks.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
For many years I had never found a record of the birth of my G/Grandfather.  I found all his siblings before and after but never his birth record.

I had all their bapsitms records, including his.

Then one day I decided to try the Boy 'Simpson'

So I entered his surname, year and quarter (and following quarter)and area into FreeBMD.  Then dismissed all the ones with names.  That left me with 3. I then went to the following 2 quarters and only found 2 corresponding deaths.

So on a whim I ordered that 'odd' single certificate.  And there he was.  No name just baby Simpson, his parents and all other info listed correctly.

Now I know he was disabled (he had a dodgy leg) and was probably not expected to live, he was baptised the day after he was born.  And he parents probably never bothered to go back to the registrar to add his name.

So here is one baby that did not die... ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)