Author Topic: Northern Ireland births  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Robin forGallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northern Ireland births
« on: Thursday 30 June 05 06:04 BST (UK) »
Does any kind person know how you can find out the religion of a person born in Ireland.
My ancestor was Agnes Gallagher. born 24.4.1847 in Carrickfergus, Belfast. Northern Ireland. Her father was John Gallagher and her mother was Jane McFerran or McFerren. She had a sister, Eliza born about 1842 and a brother, John. Maybe other siblings.The Registry Office in Belfast only holds records for non Catholics born before 1864.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Ireland births
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 05 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin, :)

There are 3 births entries for Agnes Gallaher on the data base for the Ulster Historical Foundation. Two born in County Antrim in 1846 and one in County Down in 1847. You can search the site here
http://www.ancestryireland.co.uk/quis.php

If you manage to find the correct person the religious denomination of the family will be noted on the certificate.

The data base is not yet complete but it is possible to ask for a search of the records.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 00:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Darcy,
Thankyou so much for this. I had looked at this and found the padlocks and hoped I could find out for free but looks like I will have to pay. We have her name as Agnes Gallagher. b. 12,4,1847 at Carrickfergus, Belfast. Northern Ireland. Co of Antrim.(don't have any certificates just passed down by generations)Would this be the correct way to write down an address in Ireland? Can you tell me if a birth in Carrickfergus would be likely to be registered in Down or Antrim please? Do you know what carrick means in Irish please?
Robin.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 05 01:06 BST (UK) »
Carrickfergus would come under County Antrim. In 1847, it would have been Ireland (Under the Government of Ireland Act, Northern Ireland came into being in the spring of 1921).

This site http://members.aol.com/carrickman/carrick.html has an interesting tale about the possible origins of the name. Another definition can be found on http://www.loughman.dna.ie/general/placenames.html.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 05 01:23 BST (UK) »
Scotsmum.
Thanks muchly! It is great to know how helpful people are. Will look at the sites.
Robin.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 05 01:42 BST (UK) »

Hi again Robin,

glad to be of help to you.

I used to live quite close to Carrickfergus. It's a nice spot and the castle is impressive.

Unfortunately I'm too far away now or I could do the lookup for you. ;D

This hobby can get a bit expensive at times - especially in Ireland where so little information is available on the net.

Here's a pic of the castle and a bit more info.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/travel/attractions/castles/carrick.shtm

Good Luck with your search

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 05 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,
Thanks once again. I am learning a bit more every day. I have sent away for a couple of death certificates here in Australia so I will learn a bit more before I pay for stuff in Ireland.
Great to be in touch with this group. It is a first for this 66 year old grandmother who has never been out of Australia.
Regards Robin.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 05 03:30 BST (UK) »

Robin  :)

I didn't know you were in the same part of the world as me. I thought I was speaking to someone in the UK or America.

RootsChat is a great site. If you need help just ask.

Cheers
Darcy
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 05 06:35 BST (UK) »
I am thoroughly enjoying this site.
Thanks again to you and others for your help. Carrickfergus certainly sounds a lovely place. My husband's mother is 93 and it is her grandmother who is our Irish Link. They lived in a little place called Wilsons Downfall near the Queensland border. Mum Hyland remembers her grandmother well.
My husband and I and our three kids and eight grandchildren all live at Lake Macquarie near Newcastle NSW.
Where are you in Australia please Darcy?
Regards Robin. ;)