Author Topic: Request news articles and workhouse minutes  (Read 1978 times)

Offline amyg123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Request news articles and workhouse minutes
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Due to me living in Bristol I can't do this myself and have already paid for a lot so if someone could help that would be great.
My great-great grandmother had a baby in the workhouse 1899 her name Louisa Claridge she was 16. The minutes state that her grandmother was trying to file criminal proceedings against the father(George moss) . They were working at juniper hill cottisford. The minutes also state that they were to investigate the claims and report later. I haven't been able to look at any further minutes so there may be further mention of them later in the year - so if someone could check this for me.
Also I was wondering if it would be worth checking local newspapers to see whether the grandmother ever did get the case looked at. The child was my great grandmother and I have the birth certificate Dorothy Claridge 18th august 1899- she always said she was adopted but as her name never changed this is unlikely but again I wonder if the minutes may hold more info about the fate of the child.
Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated
Amy
Green-coventry. Lomas, coventry. Ashfords-coventry,birmingham. Clarke-atherstone. Simmons-atherstone area.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request news articles and workhouse minutes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
I cant immediately see her on 1901 census, to see who she was with. At least not under Dorothy Claridge, so maybe she was with another family and under their name at the time.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy,

There is a newspaper article for Louisa Claridge -

Jackson's Oxford Journal, Saturday October 21 1899

Affiliation Case - George Moss, Cottisford, married man was summoned by Louisa Claridge with respect to her illegitimate female child born Bicester workhouse, Aug 18, she alleged George Moss to be the father. A Mr F S Collinge appeared for the defendant and denied the paternity. Plantiff who is 16 years old failed to supply sufficient corroborative evidence, application was dismissed.

JJ

Offline amyg123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 14 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the article, sad to see that she couldn't' do anything about it in the end!
Green-coventry. Lomas, coventry. Ashfords-coventry,birmingham. Clarke-atherstone. Simmons-atherstone area.