Author Topic: Campbells of Invergordon  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Mike Watkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Campbells of Invergordon
« on: Sunday 14 September 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
This is a photograph of my grandfather James Watkins (b.1902 in Pontypool, Monmouthshire) who died in 1964 before I was born - I have his naval record and have tracked down his paternal side. My father knew very little about him and very little is known about his Scottish ancestry. We do know that he is related to a Rose Campbell whose family originated from Invergordon and moved to South Wales, however as yet have not been able to find a clear link  If anyone can enlighten me as to the significance of his clothing in this photo or any further information I would be eternally grateful. Any clues will do.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells of Invergordon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Just to add other link to save "double trouble" (going over what's already been said)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=726737.msg5714773#msg5714773

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells of Invergordon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
That was a post from a while ago based on information I had on an old scrap of paper scribbled on by my late father. Since then my research into the family has shown no clear lead to the claim.