Author Topic: The Genealogist - queries!  (Read 1142 times)

Offline angiec18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Genealogist - queries!
« on: Sunday 14 September 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have been with Find My Past for a couple of years, and decided to take up an offer just this week with the Genealogist - I have read good reviews of this site, but on doing simple searches cannot find Ancestors in Census that I have already acquired easily from Find My Past?!! They pop up maybe in a couple of Census, but not in others. Disappointed too with Parish Records, but of course should have checked beforehand their limitations re counties across UK.? Still finding my way around - the address search is good. I just wondered if anyone else had found the same problems - surely all these sites have the full Census transcribed now don't they? I was going to have a break with Find My Past but might have to think about keeping both. It was a good offer £79.00 for a year with Genealogist but feeling a little angry with myself I didn't check it out more thoroughly before buying the subscription! Just wonder if anyone else has any ideas or gripes re this site?   

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogist - queries!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 September 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
I have a sub with The Genealogist and find the censuses are fine.  Of course there are some mistranscriptions, but fewer than on some other sites, (esp one beginning with A   ;D )

If you have previously found your ancestors but are not finding them on The Genealogist, try an address search to see how they are transcribed, then notify The Genealogist there's an error.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline angiec18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks I will try it through address search as you suggest.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
I had a sub for a year, but didn't really find anything new, so I've cancelled my sub now.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
I let my sub lapse on renewal earlier this month, I'd had one since 2008 because of the non-conformist records, fleet marriages and PCC Wills.  As these are now on ancestry it didn't seem cost effective to keep it going as I've found much of the other data was transcripts and few original records images, much of which is available elsewhere.  I might have renewed it again if they'd actually got the digitised microfilm copy Tithe maps uploaded which their site says were supposed to have been released in the Spring, but as it's now September and no sign of them, I didn't see the point.  I may possibly re-subscribe if an offer comes my way when they actually finish all of the Tithe Records, but its anybody's guess when this will be as they would appear to already be behind schedule on their release of parts of the project. :-\

My personal view is that for what they have of "original" records, as opposed to transcripts of one form or another, its a bit expensive compared to other sites.  On the odd occasion I did manage to find somebody on the Census that I couldn't find on their other two main competitors' sites via the address search but generally its not been that beneficial to me apart from the data sets mentioned previously which are now available elsewhere.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
For ALL genealogical sites I always recommend that people take out the Free Trials, before commiting to any subs.

Far too often we read of people going for one particular site because it was the cheapest.

Well, cheapest is not necessarily best.

They all have some very basic records which are identical, but once you start to dig deeper into your ancestors, this is when you really need to consider which site is most suitable to your needs.

I was with both Ancestry and FindMyPast and enjoyed using both. 

Well when my subs came up for renewal with FindMyPast shortly after the big shake up, I cancelled my continuous subs.  To my mind it went from the most user friendly site, to something that was clunky and unsuitable.

So I am now only with Ancestry, which suits me fine.  My ancestors come from London and Liverpool (and many places inbetween) so the records held are right for my needs.

So as said before, if looking to change to another genealogical site, research that site before spending your money and regretting it later.

;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)