Author Topic: It's Gone Wrong  (Read 10157 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Re: It's Gone Wrong
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
I also have some information from Polperro:
1821 - Richard and family at Highway, Married to Jane
1857 - Richard Carpenter of Trenwan, married Jane Anne Lander, born St Veep, 24th Dec at Liskeard Registry Office
1871 - Richard on census aged 50, carpenter born Lanreath, living at Highway Hamlet with wife Jane 42 and children Mary Ellen 7, Fanny 5, Harry 1, all born LbyF, living in Kayes Cottage

Have visited Highway, St Veep Parish Church and the Parish Church at Lansallos which has a lot of Langmaid graves. I have been trying, just trying to clarify it all.

Graham
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
Gralorn
Over the years I've collected some langmaid/langmead data - some of which I haven't been able to place/trace/connect.  I'll re-read it all this weekend in conjunction with info on this post and see if I have any clues to help sort out/clarify the Richards and Johns.

My interest has been with daughters of Henry - Peggy and Catherine (both of which proved traceable and connectable).

Weirdly (just did a quick check) Cornwall online parish website has marriage of John langmaid to ELIZABETH Wymouth Broad.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 19 September 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Gralorn
Had a spare hour and may have hit a clue to help work out these Johns.
"In The name of God, Amen
I, Henry Langmaid of Bake in the Parish of Pelynt in the County of Cornwall do hereby make and declare this to be my last Will and Testament in manner and from hereafter mentioned that is to say.
First I give and bequeath to my niece Elizabeth Lee, wife of Thomas Lee the sum of Fifty Pounds. I give and bequeath to my Nephew John Langmaid, Carpenter the sum of Fifteen Pounds and my bed. I give and bequeath to my Nephew William Langmaid the sum of Five Pounds. I give and bequeath to my Nephew Richard Bate, Son of Richard and Elizabeth Bate the sum of Forty Pounds, I give and bequeath to my Niece Ann Bate daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Bate the sum of Thirty Pounds. I also give and bequeath to my Sister Elizabeth Geake the sum of Five Pounds per year to be paid by my executors hereafter named out of my estate called Bake in the Parish of Pelynt during her natural life. All the rest residue and remainder of my goods, chattels and effects, bonds, notes, book deposits whatsoever and wherever found I give and bequeath to my two grandchildren William and Elizabeth Northcote, Son and Daughter of William and Ann Northcote, share and share alike. I nominate and appoint to be my whole and soul executor of this my Last Will and Testament  hereby revoking all former wills by me heretofore made declaring this to be my only true Last Will and Testament.
In witness whereof I set my hand and seal this Ninth Day of February in the year of Our Lord, One Thousand, Eight Hundred and Thirty Seven.
Henry Langmaid
Signed sealed published and declared by the witness named testator as and for his Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence and at his request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnessed hereto.
Jonathan Hill
Charles Lamb
Wm Couch"

The only Henry I have who "works" with all the information in this will is Henry Langmaid b. 1766, son of Henry Langmaid & Elizabeth Soby.
Henry & Elizabeth had these children baptised at Lansallos:
Elizabeth Langmaid b. 1764, married Richard Geake 1790, d 1844
John Langaid b. 1764 (and logically died before 1768)
Henry Langmaid b. 1766, married Jane Bate 1790, d 1837.  Daughter Ann Langmaid b. 1792 who married a William Northcote 1815
John Langmaid b. 1768 (who possibly married Mary Thomas in 1791), d 1838
Peggy Langmaid/mead b. 1770, married Thomas Geak 1793, d. 1845
Thomas Langmaid b 1775, d 1829. (I don't know if he married)
Catherine Herring Lagmaid b 1778, married Edmund Webb, d. 1856

So there is a John Langmaid, who is a carpenter in 1837, and is referred to as a nephew of Henry Langmaid b. 1766.  I may be way off base and in completely the wrong timeframe .........
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 19 September 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
To be really honest I am going to have to read all through the information that I have and attempt to sort it out once and for all. I have a copy of that will in my Langmaid file along with some others, we as a family always found it to be quite funny in that he gives his 'bed'. Although being a carpenter its probably a work of art. Let me read through all that I have write it all down again and see what I come up with. As they say we are so near, yet so far. Its then Johns that are causing the hic up. Thanks for what you did though it is much appreciated. Right clear the table, I need some space!!

Regards

Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Think I have it all worked out now, goes something like this:
John Langmaid b:1694 d:1770 & Joan Lyne > Henry Langmaid b:1733 d: 1789 & Elizabeth Soby > John Langmaid b:1768 d:1838 & Mary Thomas > John Langmaid b:1795 D: 1877 & Mary Wymouth Broad & Rebecca Best > Richard Langmaid b:1818 & Elizabeth Pearce & Jane Anne Lander > William Langmaid b: 1858 d: Jan 1911 at sea & Mary Hazell.
So it all fits nicely, only thing that I do not have is when Richard Langmaid died. I now wonder about Mary Wymouth Broads family and would love to know who her syblings were as I have just watched a  True Story DVD called 'Mary Bryant' about a young girl transported to Australia from Fowey for stealing, a minor offence, but her maiden name was Broad ! Was she any relation to the Mary in the family tree? Not usual for a family to have two Mary's, but one never knows. Any information as usual would be most appreciated.
Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 September 14 18:21 BST (UK) »
Having read all through the bits and pieces, including Jennie's e-mails from a few years ago I believe that I have it clear in my mind. Almost as my reply above with the exception of the very start. I am now of the opinion that is Thomas Langmaid that should be the start(Root Person) and not Henry! I have Thomas married to Joan Lyne Collings, whom he married on 25 June 1715 and she died 21 September 1777 in Lanivet, Cornwall. I also have a scrap of paper obtained from a lady in Fowey that states that Thomas's parents were Julian Langmaid and Joan Langmaid (Nee Wallis). Is there any way that this may be looked up and confirmed? My only other query is when did John Langmaid born 25 October 1764 actually die and where.
What a read and mix up this family line has been. Thank you sincerely for all your time and assistance to date.
Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen