Author Topic: Charles Oscar Peterson (aka Carl Oscar Petersen), Sweden to California  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
Charles Oscar Peterson (aka Carl Oscar Petersen), Sweden to California
« on: Tuesday 16 September 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Charles Oscar Peterson (also Carl Oscar Petersen) was born in Sweden, on September 24, 1855 according to his death certificate. My grandmother said he was from Vesterick, Sweden. She also said that his real father died when he was relatively young, and his mother re-married, but his step-father treated him badly and he ran away from home young, aboard ship. However, I don't have documents to support any of this information.

The first actual record I have of him is the 1900 US Census. He and his wife, Mary Jane Ford, appear living in San Mateo, California. The census says they arrived in 1899, though in later decades the year is as early as 1897. His occupation in 1900 is listed as "coachman," but in subsequent years his occupation is listed as carpenter. At that time he and Mary reported being married two years, though I have some reason to believe they actually got married in San Francisco in 1905, after their children were born.

He died on May 5, 1936 in Oakland, California. I have a copy of his death certificate, which was difficult to track down, but all fields asking for his birthplace or information about his parents (except country of birth) says "Unknown."

If you have any information about Charles please let me know. I am also interested in hearing from other relatives of Charles and Mary Jane.

Thank you,
Sarah
San Diego, California
Lots but here are a few: Bouscaren, Emerson, Peterson, Gourley, Finley/Fenley, Van horn, Ford, Boyd, Mussaw/Mousseau, Monette, Freiberger, Crandall, Barry, Nellis, Ritzenthaler, Lechleiter...

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Oscar Peterson (aka Carl Oscar Petersen), Sweden to California
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 September 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah.

I have found your Charles. His name was Carl Oscar Petersson. The son of a labourer/seaman Anders Peter Petersson and Carolina Josefina Jansdotter. He was born 24 Sept 1855 and baptised 30 Sept 1855 in Västervik.

Anders Peter Peterson died 9 Aug 1860. Carolina remarried on 22 Dec 1866 to seaman Adolf Fredrik Nyberg.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 September 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
Here is the family in 1880:

Nyberg, Adolf Fredrik - 1840 - Father
Jansdotter, Carolina Josefina - 1832 - Mother
Petersson, Johan Petrus - 1852 - Child
Petersson, Carl Oskar - 1855 - Child
Petersson, Augusta Ottilia - 1863 - Child
Otto Theodor - 1870 - Child
Adolf Frithioff Julius - 1873 - Child

Ian

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 14 00:46 BST (UK) »
Ian! Blimey, Can you tell me where the jpg/information is from? Also, if you have pointers on how/where I can track down more information about him I will really appreciate it!

I have looked sooo many places for information about him, with little luck. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information.

Thank you!
Sarah
Lots but here are a few: Bouscaren, Emerson, Peterson, Gourley, Finley/Fenley, Van horn, Ford, Boyd, Mussaw/Mousseau, Monette, Freiberger, Crandall, Barry, Nellis, Ritzenthaler, Lechleiter...

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah.

You're welcome.
I have access to the Swedish Church Books. It may be a little difficult for you otherwise. I will gather as much info as I can find for you. Just let me know what you want.
I can add though he and his brother Johan Petrus left together in 1882. They were both seaman. I haven't yet found where to.
It is very late here in Sweden now, so I have to crawl off to bed. I will continue tomorrow.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
I have found a number Oscar entries in the seaman's database. One stands out and I believe to be him:
He joined the frigate "Indien" in Västervik on 26 June 1876 and left the ship in Cardiff in Sept 1876. The "R" means "Rymd" = Escaped, meaning in this sense "jumped ship".
He sailed from Västervik via Hudiksvall to Cardiff. His wage was 40 crowns and he was an able bodied seaman.

Förnamn: Christian name
Efternamn: Surname
Födelsedatum: Birth date
Födelseförsamling: Birth parish
Hemförsamling: Home parish
Civilstånd: Marital status
Inskrivningsnr: Register number
Sjömanshus: Sailor's Institute
Hyra/Lön: Wage
Valuta: Currency
Påmönstringsort: Joined ship
Avmönstringsort: Left ship
Befattning/Yrke: Position
Fartyg: Ship
Hemmahamn: Home port
Redare: Ship owner

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 September 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
Ian! Blimey, Can you tell me where the jpg/information is from? Also, if you have pointers on how/where I can track down more information about him I will really appreciate it!

I use Arkivdigital: http://www.arkivdigital.net/

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 September 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
I found this:

Otto Theodor left for America 16 Dec 1890
Adolf Frithioff Julius left for America 11 June 1889

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 September 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
I noticed in your tree on Ancestry that they got married in Australia. I wonder then what he was doing during all the other years.