Author Topic: WHITWORTH family of Earls Barton  (Read 10399 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: WHITWORTH family of Earls Barton
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
I quite agree TicknerV about the surname spelling.

I have copies of the marriages on a dvd so when I get back later
I will see if I can find any comparison.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
I have been looking through the marriages and the last letter is a N.

Looking at Familysearch.org https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/3M3B-NNR
as you have already said Ann's surname had many variants . 

The Vicar only did a few marriages in 1754-1755 therefore they are not enough entries
for me to check I am afraid and also he would have spelt the name is he heard it.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 September 14 08:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is of interest to you but found this on a newspaper site. Dated Monday 24th June 1771.

To be sold, Two Yard Lands and Two Acres of Meadow in the Open and Common-Fields of Earls Barton, in the County of Northampton, in the Tenure of James Whitworth. Enquire of Mr George Tompson, of Northampton.  N.B. An Act is passed for enclosing Barton Fields.

I have put the capital letters as the newspaper put them.

CraftyP

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 September 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Dear CarftyP thanks for this snippet, but could you say which newspaper it was? Thank you also, Sandy. Looking at the Tree that Sandy indicated, the compiler would appear to have researched this family in some depth, but seems perhaps sometimes to have compounded births and baptisms, but other times not. I wonder if he/she had access to a family bible. She/he gives a birth date of January 20, 1771 for the John Whitworth I am researching, and very interestingly associates him with the Manor in Kettering. Is there some way in which I could link directly with the compiler? He/she also gives a birth date of May 8, 1729 for James Whitworth, when we have a baptismal date for him of May 18, 1729, his parents given as Robert Whitworth (d.1761) and Ann (nee Manning) (d.1754), who were reputedly married in Preston Deanery on May 8, 1711. Where is Preston Deanery, and its records? I find no record of Ann STANYAN (and variants) in Earls Barton around 1735, or at any other time there in the 18th century!!

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 September 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

The Northants Baptism Index has this for James.

Earls Barton C of E
08-May 1729
James WHITWORTH s of Robert & Ann

Sandy       
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
The Northampton Mercury.  Is a Charlotte Whitworth of Turvey married to a John Whitworth connected to you?  If so there are a couple of snippets in the Bedfordshire Times and Independent also. One is the obituary 1905 of  Charlotte 85 widow of the late John Whitworth where amongst the people attending the funeral at Turvey are Miss A Whitworth, Mr John Whitworth, miss F Whitworth, Mr G B Whitworth, Mr R Whitworth Junior, and Mr R Whitworth Senior.

The other is where Charlotte Whitworth's mare was killed on Mount Peasant farm in 1870. 
Although another newspaper article in 1906 mentions John Whitworth was of Grove farm (His daughter presented two brass vases on the communion table in memory of her mother).  I am probably confusing you so It is best if you read them yourself.

I can copy and paste to send you them if you wish.

Crafty P

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Preston Deanery is between Quinton and Hackleton, it's Church is no longer
used, but it is a beautiful little one.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01a5b/ 

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 September 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandy and Crafty P for your further contributions. I think I would like to see the originals for May 1729 of the Earls Barton baptisms to confirm the baptism date of James Whitworth. Can Sandy get an image of it, as with the 1755 marriage entry? Regarding the Whitworths in Turvey, the son, John WHITWORTH (1805-1864), who married his cousin, Charlotte WHITWORTH (1820-1905), was the brother of my daughter's ancestor, Ann COOK (nee WHITWORTH) (1798-1874/75). I would appreciate images of the 2 other newspaper articles that you cite, as I wonder if any of the COOK family attended her funeral in 1905. The name of the farm was "Mount Pleasant" Farm, so it my have a typo!

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 September 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
I have put an attachment on. Will you please let me know if it has worked as I have never put an attachment on Rootschat before and have got in a bit of mess.  This is Charlottes death, Bedfordshire Times and Independent Friday 24th November 1905 A Mrs Cook is mentioned. If it has worked I will send you the others.

CraftyP