Author Topic: Mellis, Thornham Magna or Gislingham - Marriage 1860  (Read 1365 times)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mellis, Thornham Magna or Gislingham - Marriage 1860
« on: Friday 19 September 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
The FreeBMD index shows a marriage in Q4 1860 in the Hartismere District of Charles BENNETT and Mary Ann ANNIS. If they are the couple I'm looking for then he was born in Mellis and she in Thornham Magna or Gislingham so those would be the most likely places for the wedding.

If anyone has access to the registers of any of these parishes I'd be very grateful if you could check for the marriage and report any details.

(It's possible the bride may be recorded as Sarah Ann rather than Mary Ann.)

Thank  you
David

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mellis, Thornham Magna or Gislingham - Marriage 1860
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
Taken from Mellis parish register

Charles Bennett of full age - singleman - sawyer - of Mellis
Mary Ann Annis of full age - singlewoman - of Mellis
Married 6th October 1860 at Mellis, Suffolk
He signed his name, she made her mark X
Fathers: Robert Bennett labourer, Grimwood Death labourer
In presence of William Aldrick, Lydia Bennett, (initials) Bacon?

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 October 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder why you said her name might be written as Sarah Ann? A Charles and Sarah Ann Bennet baptised Maria Ellen in Mellis on 15th September 1861 but how do you know if this is the same couple?

Another Charles Bennett married Eliza Scuffham in Mellis on 9th Feb 1862 (both single).  They baptised John 1st Feb 1863, Clara Ellen 17th July 1864 and Kate 20th May 1866

Another Charles (?), Charles Henry Bennett and Ann baptised Harry Ernest on 27th December 1862.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking up the marriage, Anne. Very helpful.

The Charles and Sarah Ann who baptised Maria Ellen are the couple I'm interested in. I couldn't see any sign of their marriage under those names so I was hoping the Mary Ann was a mistake. I still wonder if it could be the right couple, it's the right village at the right time and I had already decided that my Charles was the son of Robert and Ann baptised at Mellis in 1832.

I hadn't been able to find much trace of Sarah Ann Annis before her marriage, just a possible sighting in 1851 living with a grandfather Thomas Annis. It's interesting that Mary Ann's father is a Death, not an Annis. I must see if I can find a link to a daughter of Thomas.

Thanks again

David

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
Looks like Grimwood Death (wonderful name) married Elizabeth Annis in 1845, and she was a daughter of the same Thomas Annis who appears likely to be the grandfather of the Sarah Ann Annis who married Charles Bennett. The probability that Sarah Ann = Mary Ann just went up quite a bit  :)
(Sarah Ann born about 1839.)

David

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Grimwood and Elizabeth Death have three children in the 1851 census, Louisa, Grimwood and Maria.
Louisa was born in 1843, before they married, and registered as Louisa Anniss. All three were baptised on the 29 Apr 1849 at Gislingham, with Louisa entered as the daughter of Elizabeth Annis, the other two as children of Grimwood Death and Elizabeth Anniss. Also baptised at the same time was Sarah Anne, daughter of Elizabeth Anniss.

All that is according to the Familysearch index. It would be lovely to know exactly what is written in the register  :)  (Gislingham Baptisms 29 Apr 1849.)

David

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello David

I found this on FreeBMD could be registration of Sarah Ann Annis' birth - you say born c1839 so this is close to that & in the right area.

Sarah Anne ANNETS SepQ 1838 Hartismere RD ref 13/366

No sign of a Mary Ann ANNIS (or corruption of) birth registration around that time on FreeBMD

K

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 October 14 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Keziah.  That looks very likely, well spotted!

Does anyone know if there's any chance that the full certificate would include the father's name? I know fathers could be included in the registration even if not married to the mother, provided they acknowledged the child, but would the entry then be indexed under the father's surname? i.e. does the registration being with the mother's surname rule out the father's name being mentioned?

David