Author Topic: Decree and order 1704  (Read 363 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Decree and order 1704
« on: Saturday 20 September 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
I've just returned from Kew and am certain I've found the 1704 result (I hope) in a long running dispute in the decree and order books

Can anyone help with what it states?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Decree and order 1704
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 14 02:04 BST (UK) »
There are lots of abbreviations here, and I’m not familiar on the terminology of these courts, but here’s my effort.
I’m sure somebody will be along soon to put it right!

Johom Plath of Eliz and   on it querent upon mocon this day made unto this court by  ?  Harvey Anna Bladon vid Thom Butler & as def(endent?) being of the peti(tion?) co      alledged that the petitioner have replyed to     def       we served them to recoy no    much as this clausers only matter of arr   it was therefore prayed that pub(lishe)d may passe in this clause at the third seale & that the clause may come on  to be heard some tyme the next terme which  upon producing of an affid(avit?) of notice of this mocon is ordered accordingly

‘Plath’ could be Platt
‘querent’ – ‘one who seeks’
mocon – motion?

Doesn’t sound to be as if it is all sorted – it sounds as if it’s having to come back again.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
Some additions to goldie's work:

...Thom Butler & as def(endan)ts being of the pl(ain)ti(ff)s co(mpany?) Itt was alleadged yt [=that] the pl(ain)ti(ffs) have replyed
to ye [=the] def(endan)ts answ(er) and served them to reioyne [=rejoin] & forasmuch as this causers only matter of acc(tion)...

I'm fairly sure it is "cause" rather than "clause" and "plaintiff" rather than "petitioner".

"mocon" is definitely "motion".

I think it may be "Johan".  Perhaps "M(ary) Harvey"?

I'm not sure of the words between "Plath" and "Querent".  It may partly be "& Joint [or Ioint] Querent"?

Helena, I'm afraid that as goldie said, it is just a procedural record and not the final decree or result.

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, the Plantiffs were John and Elizabeth Platts and defendants Anne Bladon, her children and Thomas Butler who was executer.  It was in relation to the will of William Barnes.  So I need to look for the Easter or Trinity term 1704!