Author Topic: Hi can someone help me?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline pammy86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi can someone help me?
« on: Monday 22 September 14 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I am stuck in family tree, my granddad was much older when he had kids and he died before I was born. He has lied in documents for example to get in the army in world war 2. He was in the RAF. I know that he died in 03/03/1983 and was born on the 14th dec year about 1922. I realise this is close to impossible as in the 1920s the records for Belfast were also burnt in the Dublin fire. I also know that he married my gran on September 13th 1956 an Ellen Hartley, I know from the marriage certificate that his dad was also James Wilson, this leaves me completely stuck as I can find no other records of him other than hearsay that he was in the nortumberland fusiliers during world war 1. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Pam

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hi can someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 14 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

There is a duplicate post here

duplicate post removed

This seems to be happening a lot tonight so don't worry - you are not the only one

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
What was his name - do you mean that he was also called James Wilson or was that his father?

Welcome to Rootschat.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pammy86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
oh goodness sorry it kept telling me there was an error and it had failed. Sorry

Offline pammy86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 14 00:26 BST (UK) »
They are both James no middle names or other names that I know off.

Offline pammy86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
James senior was in the Northumberland fusiliers in ww1 and was wounded in action. His son my granda was in the Raf in world war 2. I cant find more information on either. Sorry for the confusion  :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 14 05:47 BST (UK) »

They are both James no middle names or other names that I know off.

If these are the correct couple and the details reported are accurate, then it was James Robert Wilson:

https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=V&GraveNumber=2429&CemeteryName=Roselawn%20Cemetery

I think you may have no alternative but to visit GRONI in Belfast to get his birth.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 September 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
... I know that he died in 03/03/1983 and was born on the 14th dec year about 1922. I realise this is close to impossible as in the 1920s the records for Belfast were also burnt in the Dublin fire. I also know that he married my gran on September 13th 1956 an Ellen Hartley, I know from the marriage certificate that his dad was also James Wilson...

No vital records (Births, marriages, deaths) were lost and the 1901 and 1911 census are both online (free). The 'lost' records that were destroyed in Dublin were some census records & some Church of Ireland registers- many of the earlier census records were pulped by government order during WWI after population figures (the while point of the census) were recorded).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pammy86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy yes that's my gran and granddads burial plot, my uncle mistakenly put Robert down as his middle name but its not . I'm stuck trying to find out the name of my great granny. James senior born in 1897s wife, my gandad was the oldest born in 1922 so I can't view a birth certificate for him to find his mums name due to the 100 year law.