Author Topic: brand new at genealogy  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Green Gables

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: brand new at genealogy
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 September 14 09:37 BST (UK) »
WOW! Thank you all so much! There is so much great information there to work from!!! Alan Paul Taylor (deceased) was in a religious movement which practised a strict form of separation from any family or friends who were not in the same group. With so much estrangement and divison in families such as these, it is really difficult to get accurate information from anyone. But with this new information, it will hopefully be much easier to have a better starting point. Again, thank you all so much :)

Offline Green Gables

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Actually in a bit of shock to see all that war info, as that was contrary to what I was told growing up. Cannot thank you all enough for your help!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
I notice on Alan's military records he gives his address as Tally Ho, and occupation as orchardist. Not sure, but sounds like he was at Tally Ho Boys' Training Farm in Victoria (close to where he enlisted as well). Here's a little info about it: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000119
A long way from his father's address in Broadmeadow NSW.

Offline Green Gables

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks maddys52. That is really interesting. The story passed down is that the land at Highbury Rd, Tally Ho belonged to Alan's father Arthur Taylor, and that while Arthur was away working in Newcastle, Alan ran it for him. I think the story is that Alan lived at their Tally Ho farm with his mother and sister, while Arthur worked at Newcastle Steel Mills to send money back to the family. I'm starting to question a few things, and think I need to do some more research.