Author Topic: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington  (Read 29637 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Scottish Census - look-up? please for Haddington
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
Forgive me if my comment just adds to confusion, but was interested re the variations of the name Cairns, Cairnie. 
I have a "Cairns" in my ancestors, and she is listed variously as "Cairns, Cairney, Kearney" - and if your man was Irish - could the last spelling "Kearney" be one you would want to check out.. re earlier records especially?
Good luck - with a very difficult one!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
On a different note, hope your relative, that was Court Martialed, didn't suffer the same fate as Peter C.   :-\

My Ayrshire born gg-uncle didn't serve with the British Army in WW1, c145hoo.
He had emigrated to Australia just prior to the Great War, working in NSW as a miner ( almost all miners my lot). He volunteered in 1915 with the AIF and for some reason he enlisted with a fictitious first name and his mother's maiden name and gave the other false details too.
He then was trained in Australia, then briefly based in England before serving in France.
He was wounded in April 1918 - shot in the arm - and transported back to a hospital in England for treatment and to recuperate . It was from this hospital he went AWOL in Sept 1918 and was missing for 3/4 weeks. That was when they found out he wasn't who he said he was! And he was found and arrested in his home town. This led to the court- martial in October 1918 where he was found guilty. Perhaps the Australian forces were more lenient or perhaps because he went AWOL while not on active service he was sentenced to jail-time and fined part of his wages. He was in jail on Armistice Day. He returned early 1919 to Australia on a troop ship and lived out his life dying in the 1950s,
Phew.....BTW it took me 7 years searching to find out what happened to this man. I knew from family story that he had disappeared prior to Great War and was never heard from again (Obviously again family members being economical with the truth because he was arrested in their home village!! ;D ). There must have been a sense of shame within the family at the time.
Anyway good luck with Peter Cairnie .
Looby :)

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
Looby, you and me both!  My maternal grandfather (Peter Cairnie - not the same one we are looking at) travelled to Australia and war was declared during his voyage. He signed up on arrival with the AIF and fought with the ANZACs at Gallipoli, was a casualty and repatriated back to Oz, and finally made his way back to Scotland (although I can't find out how/when). 
Your GG Uncle is likely to have been treated at Harefield, in England, which had a large AIF hospital, just outside London.  There is an AIF war cemetery at the parish church in Harefield where 111 AIF soldiers are buried.
My understanding of the ANZACs was that they flatly refused to follow the British/French example in executing soldiers who 'lost their way', and no AIF soldiers were executed - much to the anger of British Generals.   
Did you know that AIF soldiers records are available on the Australian military site, and they are much more comprehensive than the British records.  If you need it, I have their web site address?

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Maggbill...the more the merrier,  hopefully someone will pick up on these threads and be able to provide some 'concrete' information.  Having Cairnie in my family tree has seen the same individual in records as Cairnie and then as Cairney and then back to Cairnie....and it wasn't that they were illiterate!  Unfortunately we have very little information about Peter (William) Cairnie, so back tracking is proving exceptionally difficult.  The possible variations of name, just make it more difficult, but thanks for the input. :D

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Did you know that AIF soldiers records are available on the Australian military site, and they are much more comprehensive than the British records.  If you need it, I have their web site address?

I would appreciate that link to AIF records site, although I have viewed records on the National Archives of Australia site. That was how I managed eventually to piece my gg-uncle's story together.
Looby  :)

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
It may be what I already have  :) but I'll take a look.

This Peter Cairnie who was shot at dawn, do you think he is also related to you?  Or are you researching him because he shares the name of you grandfather?  Was your grandfather from Glasgow too?

Offline c145hoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Don't know if he related - but it is possible.  Need to do more research on my GGGF/GGF siblings to see if this Peter is one of their children/childrens children.  My GF was born in Dalkeith, MidLothiam, although his Grand Father (also Peter) was born in Glasgow (1832).

Came across Peter at The Scottish War Memorials project http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic7128.html
and similarity of name.  As a WW1 volunteer, he did not deserve his fate, so irrespective if he distantly related or not, felt he shouldn't be forgotten. ;)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your research.
The fact that we are discussing Peter 100 years on means he's not been forgotten. Hope you have success with tracing his origins regardless of a connection to you or not.