Author Topic: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907  (Read 17072 times)

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
There is a death registered in NSW in 1955 for a Elsie Giles with a birth year of c 1884. Not to discount the finds of the Singer Elsie Nichols that Majm has come across. Just another follow up?

Neil

I drilled down and got a death date of 13/08/1955

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 08:21 BST (UK) »

Birth reg 23209 of 1885,  Helsey M Nichols,  mother Annie A,  father not stated,  district Cassilis.

I drilled down and got an event date of 30/11/1884. So this Helsey was born 1884, and birth registered 1885.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
There is a death registered in NSW in 1955 for a Elsie Giles with a birth year of c 1884. Not to discount the finds of the Singer Elsie Nichols that Majm has come across. Just another follow up?

Neil

I drilled down and got a death date of 13/08/1955
Could this be Elsie marrying in Queensland in 1920?

B24685 Elsie NICHOLLS married Victor GILES.

SMH  death notice for GILES, Elsie Jane died Aug 13, 1955. Relict of the late Frank GILES.
so probably not the one marrying in Qld

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
I cannot find likely death for Madame Elsie .... perhaps I am not looking carefully enough, but she seems to vanish.   I phoned the daughter of my original violin teacher (who was known to all her students as "Madame ......") and asked her if she was aware of any way I could search out for other musical disciplines and their "Madame" teachers....   She will look through her Mum's scrapbooks over this long weekend and let me know if there's any lists/names of local (NSW) societies etc.    My "Madame" 's qualifications / certificates etc are framed and in the hands of other family members, but the details are also in those scrapbooks.   

I explained it could all be for a 'wild goose chase', and wasting her valuable time, but she replied "I will enjoy re-living my mother's memories"   

Fingers crossed, that there's the remote possibility that I am on track on this one.... so often I am way off the mark.  ::)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
I was off  track .... way ... way off .... track with Madame Elsie NICHOLS ….

Madame E NICHOLS, 21 Croydon Street, Petersham
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/103424902  Arrow 16 September 1932

NSW Police Gaz, Watches and Jewellery Reported Stolen, Missing, etc 26 Oct 1927
Owner: Victor R NICHOLS, 193 Albany Road, PETERSHAM …. A gold medal “Elsie Nichols 1922” also other words on back;   a silver medal with gold centre “Madam Elsie Nichols” also other words on back.

NSW BDM has a Victor Richardson NICHOLS, 54 years of age, died at Marrickville, 1936  (#22823)
And a marriage registered Petersham for Victor R NICHOLS and Elsie KETTLEY, 1915  (#10291)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17282016   SMH 2 Nov 1936, at the Home of Peace Marrickville, Victor R NICHOLS, late of Whale Beach. 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17282284   SMH 2 Nov 1936  (late esteemed Treasurer Masonic  Choir)

I will phone my "Madame"'s daughter in the morning. 

ADD

It is now morning, I have phoned, and perhaps we may soon have a new RChatter. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 02 October 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Majm, the word is chorist, or chorister.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 02 October 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Agh, well now you have posted those two words,  well of course I remember.... now why could I not remember that last night....   ::)  Chorister !   Chorist   :)

Many thanks Pine,  you have rescued my grey cells.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 02 October 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Right,

Now, who was Miss E NICHOLLS, secretary of the Grattai Tennis Club in Sept 1916
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/156891900 Mudgee Guardian 21 Sept 1916
(The Ad reads …… please return same, immediately to where they took them from.   If they fail to do this, a meeting of the members of the Club will be called and the guilty party will be severely dealt with. )
Miss E NICHOLLS, Secretary  (JM notes this Miss had two “l” in her surname, and possibly was a schoolie, cause she knew how to threaten to deal out punishment  ! ! ! despite her grammar )

Or who was Miss E NICHOLS winning some Needle and Fancy Work prizes at the Manildra Show ….
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/139851242   Mudgee Guardian 12 Sept 1908

Cheers,  JM

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 03 October 14 05:39 BST (UK) »
Possibly also rifle shooting in 1912.  E. Nicholls of Grattai.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15306209