Author Topic: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907  (Read 17092 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 04 October 14 06:44 BST (UK) »
As an aside,

Archibald Magick,  who was a businessman at Binnaway and died in 1974 aged 96,  used the name Magick consistently.   Sophia used the name Madgwick.   The children of James Madgwick's first marriage,   who mostly lived at Gilgandra,  appear to have used both spellings indiscriminately.

While waiting for Trove to upload the full digitised version giving details of Sophia's 1907 marriage, I noticed a mention of a Mr Archie MADGWICK of Leadville.    Towers, are you sure that your chap used the name Magick consistently?   You see,  from my armchair perspective, I can find Archibald and Ethel F MADGWICK listed as the parents of two children whose births were registered at Gulgong.    His surname is indexed as MADGWICK on those births, and also with that same spelling on his marriage registered in 1906, and thus, to me, he is likely the same chap as mentioned in the Mudgee Guardian 20 Dec 1906 as Mr Archie MADGWICK of Leadville and likely Sophia's brother.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SMC00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I know this thread is a good few years old by now but i'm hoping someone sees this post.
My great grandmother was Elsie Merle Nicholls of Mudgee. I wish to find out a lot more about her if possible or any relatives of the Nicholls family.

thanks so much,

Shilo

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shilo
Welcome to Rootschat.
Esie has proved to be a bit elusive.
Perhaps you could start by telling us what you already know about her.
Birth, marriage, death dates etc.
Regards
Jennaya

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Shilo,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

This is a long shot!

I wonder if this is her marriage description in 1936 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162107806
Elsie Merle NICHOL of Mudgee.   ???

The NSW marriage index also has Elsie Merle NICHOL so it's not just a typo by the newspaper.
1936 Elsie Merle NICHOL to Stanley Arthur ROCHESTER at Mudgee reg 16348/1936

They divorced in 1946 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27910527 https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1185398

Ros

adding : This lady possibly married William John GASH (named in divorce) and possibly died in Queensland in 1972
1972 Elsie Merle GASH, father George Henry NICHOLLS, mother Catherine LEE B37005
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline SMC00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for the welcome  :)

Wow! You guys sure are quick off the mark. rosball you were spot on! That is my great grandmothers details you found. Elsie Merle Nicholls (or Nichols/Nichol - I'm never entirely sure which) married her first husband Stanley Arthur Rochester in 1936 but I'd never seen the trove newspaper links so thank you so very much for sharing. She did indeed divorce Stanley and marry William John Gash. Apart from these facts I do not know much other then she died in Brisbane, Queensland at the age of 53 (in the house I grew up in) in 1972 as you mentioned. Which puts her to be born in 1910, making the role of 'Bridesmaid' at 3 years old (1907) seem rather impossible? Maybe my Elsie isn't the mystery Elsie after all?

Offline SMC00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
I do apologise, looking back to my research, I forgot to mention some more details about Elsie - Not sure if they're helpful or if we're even talking about the same Elsie but worth mentioning never the less.

Elsie's parents were George Henry Nicholls and Catherine Lee. George Henry died in 1926 at just 26 years old (this is an entirely different and interesting case that I would love to know more about but don't want to pay out any more $$$ on a particular website that costs a bomb :-[ ). Catherine Lee remarried Roderick J T McRae.

From what I have found, Elsie's siblings were as follows..

Marie M Nicholls - Born & Died 1927
Myril C Nicholls - Born 1924 Died 1988
George Nicholls - Born 1926 Died 1991

Half Siblings

Elizabeth A McCrae Born 1932 Died 2002
Alexander D McRae Born 1934 Died 1944
Marie McRae Born & Died 1936
Baby boy - Stillborn 1937

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Vic Death: 1963 #5397 William John GASH
Father's name: GASH Thomas
Mother's name: Julia (Holland)
Place of birth: Natimuk
Place of death: Jordanville

The Age 11April1963 pg15 (pg 8 in this link) http://tinyurl.com/ybxrkdea
(1st column of Law Notices 2nd notice from bottom)
Letters of Administration for WILLIAM JOHN GASH of 45 Cleveland Road Jordanville in the State of Victoria, Turner and Fitter...be granted to ELSIE MERLE GASH of 45 Cleveland Road Jordanville  ....Widow and one of the next of kin of the said deceased...

Offline SMC00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, Math is not my strong point!.. I just realised I said Elsie could not be the bridesmaid in question because she would be 3 in 1907.. um, more like not even conceived yet.  ::)

Offline SMC00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Vic Death: 1963 #5397 William John GASH
Father's name: GASH Thomas
Mother's name: Julia (Holland)
Place of birth: Natimuk
Place of death: Jordanville

The Age 11April1963 pg15 (pg 8 in this link) http://tinyurl.com/ybxrkdea
(1st column of Law Notices 2nd notice from bottom)
Letters of Administration for WILLIAM JOHN GASH of 45 Cleveland Road Jordanville in the State of Victoria, Turner and Fitter...be granted to ELSIE MERLE GASH of 45 Cleveland Road Jordanville  ....Widow and one of the next of kin of the said deceased...

Oh my goodness! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing. You truly are all wizards with information finding. I hope I can learn these skills one day. This is amazing. I'm so glad I stumbled across this site. Thanks cupoflife  :) :) :)