Author Topic: Lost photos of Hungarian woman  (Read 708 times)

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Lost photos of Hungarian woman
« on: Thursday 02 October 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone, experienced in Hungarian research, find anything on this woman? The police posted these lost pictures, and are trying to find the owners.

Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost photos of Hungarian woman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
This may be a little help.

This is a railway pass for the wife of a senior/managerial employee on the Hungarian railways.
Hungarian Railways = MAV.
The employee was a Mr Lajos (Leslie) Gönczi presumably from the city of Miskolc in Eastern Hungary.
As it was issued in the 1970s, the lady who looks to be in her early 20s, must be in her mid 60s by now.

I am assuming there are few people in the Calgary area with the Gönczi (pronounced Gonchi) surname, so a phone book look up for Gönczi, or westernised variants of that name may help.

Roy G in Budapest

Post script   Below is a reference to a Hungarian record from 1938 (well before this lady's age and presumably that of her husband), but there could be a family connection (father in law? who appears to be a junior on the legal side of railway admin in Miskolc) so I'll include it anyway.

020237: miskolci MÁV Állomásfőnökségen főtiszt 1938-ban 368 o dr Gönczy Lajos joggyakornok a miskolci Királyi Járásbíróságon 1938-ban 369

Roy