Author Topic: Edith May CROOK - Passport Issue - Passage to South Africa from Australia  (Read 718 times)

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edith May CROOK - Passport Issue - Passage to South Africa from Australia
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
It has been a long time since I last posted on RootsChat and the site appears to have changed dramatically.  Apologies if I haven't used the correct forum for this request.

Very recently new information came to light regarding Edith May CROOK (nee WYATT) from a living descendent.  It is now known that she left Australia for South Africa during the early 1950's.  Before I post a request on the South Africa forum I would like to obtain more definitive information to narrow the time frame and hopefully know her destination port in South Africa.

Is there a way of researching the issue of Australian passports in the 1940's and 1950's?

Which resource should I use to research outward journeys from Australia to South Africa?

Edith was born in 1885, which would make her approximately 65 when she left Australia.  Edith might have travelled under her maiden name WYATT, or her surname from her first marriage CRONIN.  I suspect she was not divorced from her first husband when she married Robert James
CROOK.  Or she could have found a new partner and travelled using his surname.

Many thanks, Jenster.
Bulmer, Caller, Hanson, Wyatt

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Edith May CROOK - Passport Issue - Passage to South Africa from Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

If she had a then current British passport, she would have travelled on it, as Australian passports only date from 1949, which is when Australian Citizenship commenced.   Sorry, but I am not familiar with any 1940s-1950s records which have lists of passports issued.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edith May CROOK - Passport Issue - Passage to South Africa from Australia
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you JM for the information relating to the commencement date for Australian passports.

Cheers, Jenster
Bulmer, Caller, Hanson, Wyatt