Author Topic: Error Messages on Familysearch  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Error Messages on Familysearch
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 05 October 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

With your assistance and encouragement I have removed Norton and installed AVG, and I have solved the problem.

Is it worth paying for the full version of AVG once the free 30-day trial comes to an end?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 05 October 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Suggest you do a search for both Norton and Symantec on computer before resting on your laurels?
Symantec being the owner of the Norton brand.
Good luck.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I suppose I thought the Norton Removal Tool would have dealt with remaining scraps of software, but I will do as you suggest. Thank you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
Suggest you do a search for both Norton and Symantec on computer before resting on your laurels?
Symantec being the owner of the Norton brand.
Good luck.
 Brian

But Norton wasn't the problem Brian as it didn't cause problem on other device, Brian.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
No, Norton was not installed on the other device. That's why I thought that Norton must have had something to do with the problem. That, and the fact that it has been doing weird things for a few weeks, like throwing up all these odd error messages like 8504, 102 and similar. This was the final straw.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
I'd be concerned about what was causing the errors in first place... same could happen with a different anti virus program installed!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:57 BST (UK) »
I'd be concerned about what was causing the errors in first place... same could happen with a different anti virus program installed!

Indeed, that is sound advice. I will be keeping a careful eye on it, I can assure you. Given that XP is out of date, and that the processor is probably also obsolete, it might be time to consider replacing the whole thing anyway.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 05 October 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Time to run a complete scan now since you don't know what  Norton was/wasn't doing!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 05 October 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Time to run a complete scan now since you don't know what  Norton was/wasn't doing!

Thank you, I have already done so after installing AVG.