Author Topic: Thomas Holt, born Blackburn 1793 - 82nd Foot, 2nd Battalion  (Read 1036 times)

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Holt, born Blackburn 1793 - 82nd Foot, 2nd Battalion
« on: Monday 06 October 14 20:05 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in this chap as I think he is my ggggrandfather on my mother's side.  The entry on Ancestry describes him as a weaver by trade, 5 ft 6in, swarthy complexion, dark brown hair and brown eyes.  Just my kind of guy!  ;D

Any information about what he was up to in this regiment and where they went would be gratefully received.  He seems to join up on 4th May 1811 aged 18.  The title of the series is Canada British Regimental Registers of service 1756 - 1900.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Holt, born Blackburn 1793 - 82nd Foot, 2nd Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
Can you post the link to his Ancestry entry.

He does not appear to have served long enough to earn a pension - so his service record has not survived. In this period Regulars signed up for life, but they introduced 7-year limited service (without a pension) for the war against France and the USA. You may have to follow his service using the musters. They are in the National Archives, and not online.

The 2nd Battalion 82nd Foot stayed in England, so he must have been transferred to the 1st Bn who served in Canada in 1814. If he was still alive in 1847 he may have received a medal for the Peninsular/USA. I will check the rolls later.

Ken

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.  He was definitely back in Britain in 1821 as I have a copy of his marriage entry at St Mary's Blackburn to Grace Greenhalgh.  He is described as being a weaver not a soldier, so he must have left the army by then.  He is still living in Blackburn in the 1841 census, with his wife and four children.  Then there is a burial entry in 1849 in Blackburn, which may be him, as I can't find him on the 1851 or 1861 census.  But he is down as being aged 60, which if he was born in 1793 is slightly out. 

Perhaps he stayed with the 2nd Battalion in England and didn't see any action?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 15:51 BST (UK) »
As his service record does not appear to have survived you will have to use the muster books in Kew. They are not online. They should tell you where he was each month, as well as his battalion.

Ken

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this.  Yes, it seems a trip to Kew is in order.   8)