Author Topic: Joseph Garrett  (Read 5282 times)

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Garrett
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 January 20 05:28 GMT (UK) »
I know this thread has been going for a long time but I still have interest here and still seeking the same info.
Re date of birth. There is conflicting dates on ages on birth certificates for his children compared to his marriage. Marriage 1872 say was 33 wife 23   and a birth certificate  has ages  in 1890  Joseph 51 and Jane 38  He defiantly died in 1899 and death notice in paper says he was 70 Was from Hadley on Thames Oxfordshire
He arrived in Australia in 1856 aged 23.

This marriage certificate 1872 has his Father as Joseph Garrett and mother Elizabeth maiden name unknown. I have thoughts it could be Bissell

A recent DNA test and retirement have me back on the hunt. 

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 January 20 07:36 GMT (UK) »

BDM VIC death
5373/1899   GARRETT  Jos  parents  Sophia WELCH /  GARRETT Jos
died Conwarr    78 years

Traralgon Record 4 Apr 1899 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/59434312?
...report magesterial enquiry for Joseph GARRETT....wife..son William....

Can you please list all the information on this death record.

Can you identify the newspaper article....name and date of paper -
"death notice in paper says he was 70 Was from Hadley on Thames Oxfordshire"

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 January 20 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Sophia Welsh is unlikely to be the name of his mother in fact  Welsh is on one of Josephs children's birth certificate it is his mother in-laws surname.  Elizabeth [unknown ] ,Bissell is my guess but looking for confirmation - information

There is too many variations conflicting ages to work out what his DOB is.  There is a Job Garrett born in Oxford shire in 1824 1829  to Joseph and Elizabeth Garrett  in Oxfodshire seen in two census 1841 and 1851 and not after that could be the case due to coming to Aust  in 1856 aged 23.   

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 February 20 03:15 GMT (UK) »
OK  I have learnt quite a bit more on this matter since my last post.

Mid last year I received a DNA test for my birthday through ancestry.com and then by also joining heritage.com I was able to work through DNA  matches, other family trees and  then on to links which ultimately confirmed Joseph Garrett was born to  JOSEPH GARRETT 1787 - 1840 and Elizabeth Bissell 1786 - 1872

Job [Joseph] Garrett was born in 1831 at Pishill Oxfordshire England with siblings Lucy 1816-1902
Joanna 1818-?  Mary Ann 1822 ?  Augusta 1824 -1861  Sophia Maria 1827-1900 Thomas 1829-1911  Sarah

Joseph came to Australia aboard the Donald McKay  .vicnet.net.au/~murtoa/donald_m.htm
on his own in 1856 arriving in Port Phillip.

Still working on more detail so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 February 20 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Trove newspaper entries for Joseph Garrett in 1899:

The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954)  Thu 6 Apr 1899  Page 6
TRARALGON, Wednesday, A magisterial Inquiry was held at Cowwarr on Monday respecting the death of Mr.-Joseph Garrett, aged 78 years. Deceased retired to rest on Saturday night in apparently
good health. About 3.30 a.m. on Monday his wife heard him give a groan, and on raising him up found that he was dead. A verdict of death from failure of the heart's action was returned.
Traralgon Record (Traralgon, Vic. : 1886 - 1932)  Fri 7 Apr 1899  Page 2  COWWARR.
COWWARR.
(FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.)
April 5.
A magisterial inquiry was held here on Easter Monday, before Mr Fogarty, J.P., touching the death of Joseph Garrett, a well-known resident, aged 78 years. It appears he had been complaining lately of not feeling well, and about nine months ago was treated by Dr Boake for heart disease. On Saturday night he took a hearty tea about 6.30 p.m., and retired to rest about 9.30 with his wife and family. An hour later his wife gave him a dose of medicine and a cup of tea, and he then appeared as well as usual. About 3.30 a.m. she heard him give a loud groan and stretch himself. She at once jumped up and raised his head on her arm, and called her son, when it was found he was dead, although quite warm. A neighbour was called in, and her son, William, proceeded to the police station at Toongabbie and gave information to Constable Hall, who with great promptitude went to Cowwarr and examined the body, but could not find any marks of violence. Con. Hall then reported the matter to Mr Fogarty, who ordered an inquiry. Evidence was given that a fortnight ago deceased had asked Mr Martin, head teacher of the State School, to draw up his will, as Dr Boake had told him he might die at any moment. Mr Martin complied with his request, and gave evidence to that effect. After a deal of evidence had been taken, Mr Fogarty returned a verdict that death was due to failure of the heart's action.
Traralgon Record (Traralgon, Vic. : 1886 - 1932)  Fri 13 Oct 1899  Page 3  Advertising
Saturday, 14th October. J M. BAWDEN has received notice, from the Administrators in the Estate of the late Joseph Garrett, of Cowwarr, to sell by Public Auction on the above date, on the ground of his late Residence, the following:
2 Drays, Plough, Harrows, Roller
Milk Cans
7 Head of Cattle and Sundries

Tom

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 February 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Tom, that Joseph Garrett did have folks Sophia WELCH and Joseph GARRETT.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 February 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Have I got the right one whilst looking on Trove?

Tom

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:35 GMT (UK) »
 Tom    The Joseph Garrett in the trove article is the correct Joseph Garrett being my Great Grand Father indeed.

Regarding Sophia  Welsh.  WELSH was is wife's [Jane Murthe] Mothers Maiden name.

Offline Russell Lloyd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 November 21 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David my wife anne was nee garret before marriage. She is a direct ascendant of Joseph garrett husband of Elizabeth bissell. Joseph's parents were William garrett and Mary Stephens married 16 Feb 1779.in stoner roman Catholic Chapel.elizabeth was the illegitimate daughter of hannah bissell. My great. Great grandmother was August garrett. Born 16 Jan 1824 in stoner.