Author Topic: Sir Thomas Muir !844-1934  (Read 10981 times)

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sir Thomas Muir !844-1934
« on: Friday 01 July 05 00:59 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on Thomas Muir.

He arrived in Capetown 20th may 1892. Ship was the Spartan.
Would love to find out if all family members travelled with him.

In 1892 he was given the post of Superintendent-General of Education in the colony.

In 1915 he was knighted & when he died he was residing in a place called 'Elmcote' off Sandown Rd Rondebosch.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Muir !844-1934
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
You might find this thread interesting. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,62599.0.html
If you find the number of pages daunting this thread has the summaries for the topic.  If you find a connection there then maybe you can sift through the main thread for anything you want.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,62822.0.html

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 00:32 BST (UK) »
I am confused what am I looking at when I go to the threads you suggested. I am not that experienced at Rootschat so could you please direct me, i can't see the connection for South Africa. 
Thanks

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if you find the information a bit of a jumble, the reason is because it was a challenge to find out as much as possible about the "hero's" family in the space of one month and so many different people from all over the world contributed details.  The reason I pointed you to the summaries is that Manchester Rambler spent a lot of time trying to make sense of the many and varied postings which often appeared to be unrelated, but in fact made sense if you were following along the family.

There are a number of mentions of Africa, but more to the point was that many of the details mentioned were relative to the Muir family.  As your Thomas went to South Africa in 1892 I wondered whether his earlier life had been spent in England or Scotland and whether he had any connection with the families detailed in that thread.  If he was then there would be a treasure trove of information and family detail plus an enormous family tree there for the taking.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
There was a problem as every time on clicked on your suggested  thread I kept getting the main page but today I retried it and got the right page.( that's why I got confused I didn't know what I was supposed to be looking at)

You said to browse thru 1-81 ( had a quick look)but then looked at the next thread (summaries),that family wasn't mine as mine were from Scotland.

Did you find South Africa mentioned in pages 1-81? Were there different Muir's mentioned beside the summaries?(England family)

Thanks so much for the info  :D

Anne

Offline kered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 07:24 BST (UK) »
Muir College, Uitenhage was named after him. It is the oldest school in SA.
Wiblin Fuller Wells Cadle Colson

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
I don't believe there was specific mention of any in SOUTH Africa, my thoughts were that your man didn't go there until 1892 but I wasn't aware where he would have been before that. 

Now I know it was Scotland those we listed may well have been English, I just know that there were a lot of marriages between various families both English and Scottish.

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 July 05 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps for the info just a disappointment it was the wrong family.

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
may i make a suggestion? Post the query to the south africa immigrants rootsweb mailing list, and I am sure you will get heaps of info.
Also if you check the RSA archives there are many references to him.
http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300gi?2005071212425746BA6F61%26DB%3DRSAE
Good luck
ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk