Author Topic: Sir Thomas Muir !844-1934  (Read 10979 times)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Muir !844-1934
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 13:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have family details eg marriage and death notice info at all? Are you needing the historical sort of data or family?
Thanks
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info I have looked on the RSA achives site but I got confused .

Do I have to pay for each page to be viewed? I wasn't sure what to do with the results found can you explain it to me?

Also how do I post a query on a mailing list?

I have most of his details concerning his position in South Africa & his death obituaries & his knighthood etc.
The main questions were : he had 4 children 2 boys & 2 girls I can find the girls family details as they were in South Africa with him as of 1892 (when they moved there from Scotland)
2 boys were mentioned as living abroad 1 of them is my Grandfather (whose death certificate for 1966 says he was in Australia for 75 years died aged 81). So trying to work out why they weren't with their parents & how did they get to Australia?

Maybe yor advice of South Africa Mailing list can answer the questions I have concerning his residence( is it still there)
& info on the cemetery details (Maitland Cemetery).

Thanks heaps
Anne

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 October 05 02:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks to your ggrandfather I had a fine education :) The NAAIRS (SA Archives website) is "free". However it is only assists in establishing if there are indeed records for i.e. Thomas Muir, and provides the reference numbers. You would have to go to SA (Cape Town in this case) to view the records. The SA Archives are an amazing resource, and one of the best organized in the world. You could also try searching for a professional genealogist in SA (try the SA Genealogical Society) and pay a fee?  The Aussie currency is strong against the ZARand. At this stage there is no genealogical look-up service through the SA archives.  As you have probably already found, Thomas Muir bought a great deal of property, over 100 entries are registrations of mortgages, and apart from reference to a  dinner party organized for him, there doesn't appear to be much more of interest that would assist you with his birth date in Cape Town. A search of all public records in SA (the various data bases are listed) might yield more (i.e. his appointment as Superintendant of Education). I didn't look for his children. Good luck.
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa