Author Topic: Suicide by hanging.  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide by hanging.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 October 14 14:16 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

The last time I contacted The West Glamorgan Archives on this issue, I got this reply:

'Coroner’s reports between 1900 and the 1970s have not survived'.

And so your only option really is to see if the suicide you're interested in was reported in the Local Press at the time. (My Uncle's suicide was, also the result of the Coroner's Inquest was reported, in 'The South Wales Post'). I'm not local either, but I wrote to Swansea Public Library, and they looked it up for me. (Either them or Bevbee on here did anyway).

Good Luck!
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline briwales

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This may or may not help you there are 7 persons in the plot including Daniel Thomas as you say all with the name of Davies. 3 in 1897 Then Daniel Thomas in 1907. Then you have 1933, 1948 & 1963.
Have you tried using the Death Notice records ? These are kept at Treorchy Library. Using these would possibly give you the person who informed of the burial who purchased the grave etc. Worth a try as I have a person in one of my family graves not family. Turns out it was a workmates child and at that time they could not afford a grave friends helped out in the early 1900s. I have the Death Notice No's if you require them.

Regards

Brian
Davies,Wood Wales,Somerset

Offline pinkteedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian,
Yesterday I sent an email asking for more details on the burial number for Daniel Thomas to treorchy library.
My fathers ashes were put in the grave in 1963.
Daniel Thomas is the only person who was not a family member. My grandfather had purchased the plot. I think it could be a similar situation as yours , that possibly he was a fellow coal hewer and was put in the grave due to his family's lack of funds.
Thank you for the information and for taking the time to give me the information.
Regards
Pinkteedee