Author Topic: The last years of John in Harrogate  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The last years of John in Harrogate
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:49 BST (UK) »

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Thanks for that, on second one, had been in touch in the past with Michael, who wrote the book, on the first, yes did have that info from one of the Goodsirs, who came thru above Michael, who in fact also sent me the cutting from the Harrogate Advertiser ( not sure if they are not all one and the same paper.

Last one, yes it does look as though I will be forced to visit TNA again,( grimace !) have that down on must do next time I go over, - never know when an Ancestor's Sewer plan might come in useful!

Next one, am half way though this, but looks very interesting, see you have now tamed the computer.

Best

John

Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
(Smile) No need to actually go to the abhorred TNA John. First, I'd ask them for a quote on digitizing it. It may only be 3-4 pages and the cash cost less than the wear and tear on your nervous system.

I have a feeling that Harrogate Herald was absorbed into Harrogate Advertiser. Still, now now you have the specific date for the obit.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 October 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
never know when an Ancestor's Sewer plan might come in useful!

It's already useful in that it corroborates the information you already had about the Tillman brothers doing sanitary work for the Corporation of Sunderland, no?

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 October 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
For the ignorant - like me, who know very little of Masonic affairs what might WM stand for
please.

Not sure about being in lodgings ? Having just sold Clifton villas.

Best

John

p.s True, but I was thinking of 'French' plumbing !!
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 October 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
W. M. = Worshipful Master, I believe, a rank in the hierarchy of Masons (or possibly Worthy Master).

I would still have a look at who was living at that address in Valley Road on the 1891 census. Or ask someone for a look-up in the 1899 rates book for Harrogate. It might turn out to be a lead.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 October 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
From Wiki:
Worshipful Master

The senior officer of a Masonic Lodge is the Master, normally addressed and referred to as the "Worshipful Master" (in Scotland, and in Lodges under the Scottish Constitution, the "Right Worshipful Master"). The Worshipful Master sits in the East of the lodge room, chairs all of the business of his lodge, and is vested with considerable powers without further reference to the members. He also presides over ritual and ceremonies.

The office of Worshipful Master is the highest honor to which a lodge may appoint any of its members. The office is filled annually by election, often by secret ballot. The requirements as to who is eligible for election as Master vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but the majority of jurisdictions specify that a brother must have served as an installed Warden to qualify. In practice, most lodges will nominate and elect the previous year's Senior Warden in an uncontested election.

The honorific Worshipful does not suggest that the Master is worshiped, but is used in its original meaning, "worthy of respect". (Mayors and magistrates in parts of England are also traditionally called "Worshipful" or "Your Worship", as are certain bodies such as livery companies). French Masons use the word Vénérable as the honorific for their Masters.

At the conclusion of his limited term of office, a Worshipful Master is termed a Past Master. The duties and privileges of Past Masters vary from lodge to lodge and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. For example, in some jurisdictions Past Masters become life members of the Grand Lodge, while in others they are not. In most jurisdictions, a Past Master retains the honorific "Worshipful" (as in "Worshipful Brother Smith"), however there are a few where this honorific is used exclusively for sitting Masters.

The corresponding grand rank is Grand Master. The Grand Master may preside over his Grand Lodge, and also has certain powers and rights in every lodge under his jurisdiction. Grand Masters are usually addressed as "Most Worshipful", or as in Pennsylvania, "Right Worshipful".[3]

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 October 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
Right- good - have full picture and will not be ignorant anymore - well at least for a bit anyway.

Doubt if he was in Valley by 1891, as didn't sell His Clifton Villas till 1894, so will try for rates books as you say.

Easy on your new computer, and how does little green beastie feel - rejected !!!!

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 October 14 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Who was Margaret Tillman? Born about 1816 at Clifton Villa according to Durham Records Online. (I don't have any credits left there, so couldn't see the full record.)

The column headings for the info below are:
 - surname
 - forename
 - month
 - year
 - folio no.
 - entry no.
 - box no.

Haven't a clue what those last 3 column headings mean, but the information below is from an online index of burials at Sunderland Grangetown Cemetery.
http://www.durham-images.org/public/parrec.html

TILLMAN MARGARET     Feb. 1887    156 3118   42
TILLMAN THOMAS        June 1892      61 1214   43
TILLMAN JOHN             Jan.  1900     44   879   43

Here's the location of the cemetery:
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2049

I looked here but don't see any photos of the Tillman grave.
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=2292

Cheers,
Westoe