Author Topic: The last years of John in Harrogate  (Read 8218 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The last years of John in Harrogate
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 October 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Morning Westoe

That is Captain John"s wife (Nee Tullick - remember the Captain of 'Englands Queen' who did trips in tandem with John(his brother in law )- to Canada), and yes have them all on massive monument in Sunderland, Mary Isabella is noted, though she in fact is buried in Kensall Green - can't put Photo on line as is private collection,and copyright - but they are all there - so I suppose that Dorothy ( Mary Isabella's daughter) must have made the last entries. Dorothy and her husband Lewis John Jillings ( the parents of our poor Ronald) are buried in Lodden Norfolk.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 October 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Me again

As you are by now, with all your help aware  - I had no idea about my Sunderland Ancestors till very recent.

Hence I think I should point out this twist of fate -

In the 1950's my lovely Grangetown girlfriend lived in a street opposite the Graveyard and I never knew  they were all just across the road, or that my grand Aunt Lavinia( ANGAS )George Tillman's (b.1805)  daughter, is also buried somewhere in that cemetery  !!!

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Recapping :

One reason for John being in Harrogate, is that I note that he had a good friend by the name of Doctor Hall, who lived not far away in Bingley ( or did in 1888, when on a visit (Somewhat short sighted John,)- a quote from the Sunderland Echo opened the wrong door and fell down the cellar steps of his friend's house.

Best

John

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Just an ambling thought.....  If "ill health" ran in the family, he perhaps chose Harrogate because of it's Spa etc.  Harrogate was of course known for it's Spa Waters and  frequented by both British and Foreign "nobility"
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Goughy

Or anyone who has availability of viewing Probate.  Think that there might be one for John, but that it is registered under 'Durham' - A******  have one but are not showing a date, though I have no other John Tillman in that area ( except his father, who died intestate 1868 ).

Best

John

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

The record you are referring to relates to John Tillman who died 11 October 1868.  I've had another look, no Probate for John who died 31 December 1899

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
Okay and thanks

Yes that was Father who died in Sulina on his ship 'Royal Arch - so the problem remains.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 18 October 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
... I never knew  they were all just across the road, or that my grand Aunt Lavinia( ANGAS )George Tillman's (b.1805)  daughter, is also buried somewhere in that cemetery  !!!...

Hello John,

Well ... erm... sometime when you have nothing to do (grin) you could try downloading all 75 ward layout images of that cemetery, look at each one (some of them have to be rotated to be readable) and read most all the surnames of the interred and their plot numbers. For example Plot 929 in Ward 1A is an Ellington - it's on image 3 for that ward. Mind you, it would be less work if you could first find out the order in which the wards were used.

http://www.durham-images.org/public/cemeteries/cemeteries.html

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 19 October 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

As you say Erm! and wife says - you dare! - leaves now dropping everywhere and garden to put to sleep.

Best

John