Author Topic: Missing in 1861 & 1871 Census - Why?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Missing in 1861 & 1871 Census - Why?
« on: Friday 01 July 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
I cannot find my ancestor Sophia Tasker anywhere in the 1861 and 1871 census even after using the soundex method of searching.   Why would this be? 

I have found her on the FreeBMD site though.

Sophia Tasker died December 1/4 1871 90 Headington Vol 2c Page 203.  She was living at the Headington Workhouse at the time of her death.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Sorry if I have repeated any previous questions on this subject.  :-[

Many thanks  :)

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline aynsley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing in 1861 & 1871 Census - Why?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found this in 1871. Sasker in index but you can see its a T

Sophia Tasker widow, inmate, 91 born Oxfordshire

Oxford Workhouse
RG10/1436 Folio 153 
Page  8

Chatterton - Stockport, Espley - Newcastle -u-Lyme, Pashley - Worksop,Nottingham, Fox - Burslem, Faulkner - Staffordshire, Grunnell/Grunwell - Yorkshire, Price Hanmer, Cain - Co Mayo, Pickering - Shropshire, Phillips - Shropshire, Shufflebottom - Staffordshire, Bowker - Gorton, Slater - Oldham

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Aynsley

Thank you for the info and your fast reply.  Will have a look at it.

Have been attempting to trace her movements from 1820 when her husband was transported to Oz and never returned to her.  I think it very sad she died without any of her family around her.  :(

Again many thanks for your time  :)

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 05 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Judee - I think (I hope)  you are going to like this - I think I have found Sophia in 1851 in Oxford

I was doing a look-up for someone else - see the Scraggs request 1851 on the Oxfordshire board and found

66 George Street St Mary Mag Oxford
SCRAGG
Elizabeth H wid aged 42 born Oxford
with 5 children
and her mother - Sophia Gardner  Mother Wid aged 72 born Oxford

I then went to check to see who George Scraggs had married in the Oxfordshire marrage index and found he had married an Elizabeth Tasker in 1829 - this then started to ring bells - and I think this Elizabeth was one of the children of your Sophia there arn't very many Taskers in Oxford city - I think that Sophia either remarried to a Gardner or changed her name - what do you think - it would account for why we havn't been able to find her

All the best

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 05 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Right if we have found her - then this could be her in 1861 - still in George Street Oxford

Sophia Gardiner abt 1779  Oxford, Oxfordshire, England Head 

next door to or same house as

James Gardiner abt 1804  Oxford, Oxfordshire, England Head 
Jemima Gardiner abt 1789  Oxford, Oxfordshire, England Wife 
Helen Gardiner abt 1848  Oxford, Oxfordshire, England Granddaughter

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 05 09:10 BST (UK) »
And guess what - from the Oxfordshire marriage index

James Gardner married Jemima Eaton 21st May 1818 Oxford St Mary Magdelaine

now as we know Sophia was Sophia Eaton before she married James Tasker - it looks as though she was so ashamed after his transportation she started using her sisters married name instead of her own - but when she had to go into the workhouse they would have required settlement information so she had to go back to using the correct surname

Debbie

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie G

What a find!!! :o :o ;D ;D

It's wonderful news...thank you so much for all your trouble.

You have no idea how happy I feel that everything is falling into place.  What a sad and hard life she must have led until she died.

I had a look at the Scragg posting and yes Jabawak and I are related...she from the first family and myself from James' second one.

Thank you again

Juddee  :D :D :D