Author Topic: North Shields Lookup  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
North Shields Lookup
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone out there may be able to help me. 

I'm looking for the baptism of Charles Sherlock or in fact any record of his family.  According to his death certificate, he was born in North Shields in 1877 to Charles Sherlock and Mary Carter.  This is basically all I have.  Being in Australia, my only resource is Ancestry.com so I'm not sure how accessible these records are.  I can't find him or his family in a census or any birth record. 

I can find him in Australia as early as 1901 working as an Able Seaman and he married Mary Ellen Whorlton in Melbourne at St Patricks Cathedral in 1904. I have a photo of him in what I believe is a British Army Uniform but I am unable to find any army records for him or any record that he travelled back to the UK.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  He has been in the too hard basket for too long.

Thanks
Suzanne

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: North Shields Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Using FreeBMD, I am unable to find any birth registration in the North of England for Charles Sherlock?

There are 7 such births, between 1875 and 1880, but they are all in the south of England!

I am also unable to find a marriage between Charles Sherlock and Mary Carter?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking.  This is all a bit of a mystery. 

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello!  There is a birth that is earlier than the death certificate suggests, but it may be worth looking for him based on this freeBMD entry:  December 1861 QTR.  SHERLOCK, Charles Herbert Stanley in Tynemouth district. (10b135)  Hope this helps!  patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
His parents are Thomas and Sarah (Jackson)! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Who knows. That could be the right one.
I have now come across his age referenced in two different newspaper articles. One article puts his year of birth as 1875 and the other as 1879. Both articles are talking about the same incident.
I've tried looking under the surname of Carter also but found nothing.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
Are you absolutely sure that his birth place is referred to as North Shields, Northumberland, England?

As there is also a North Shields in South Australia? ::) :-X

Offline mulvi3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 October 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
I think its probably England as on one of the crew lists he gives his place of birth as South Shields which would be a South Shields, Durham reg.  However, may be there is a South Shields in Australia too.

I can't find anything for either Tynemouth or Durham. Or even a birth rec for Charles Carter.

Do you have the mc.  If so, what was the occupation of his father?

I wonder who the picture is of the chap in Army uniform.  Not up on Military but it looked like an Officer's uniform.  Others would possibly know.  Is he likely to switch from being a Seaman to enlisting in the Army I wonder.  Could that be his father or perhaps a brother.

Vera

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 00:56 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure its the English North Shields as all documents I have say England.

I do have the marriage certificate.

He was married on 4 March 1904.  It states his birthplace as North Shields, North England.  He is listed as 27 years old, Occupation a Boatswain and his residence as the SS Coolgardie.  It states his parents as Charles Sherlock and Mary Carter and his father is a Boiler Maker.

We have that uniform photo and a photo of his wife.  The photos have been hanging on the wall of my Mother in Laws house for many years and have always been known as them.  Other family members have them also again referencing them to be Charles and Mary Ellen.  I'm yet to come across any other siblings for him, not even as witness to his marriage or death.

Charles is on my husbands side.  He is his great grandfather.  I've found nothing but frustrations with his side of the family as there are several total dead ends.  I'd really love to be able to solve this and progress.