Author Topic: North Shields Lookup  (Read 7305 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Shields Lookup
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
I have posted the photo on the military board.  Hopefully someone can identify it for me, but from previous discussions we were under the impression that its a brtitish army uniform.  It will be nice to have confirmation.

The man in the photo has been identified as General Sir John Monash?! :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
I have posted the photo on the military board.  Hopefully someone can identify it for me, but from previous discussions we were under the impression that its a brtitish army uniform.  It will be nice to have confirmation.

The man in the photo has been identified as General Sir John Monash?! :-\

Who identified him as Sir John MONASH?     

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
Obviously I am misunderstanding something here?
On the other thread is a picture of a military gentleman.

majm included a link to General Sir John Monash; in an identical uniform, and bearing a remarkable resemblance to th other picture? :-\

If it wasn't intended as an identification, then I can't for the life of me work out why it was attached/linked? ???
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
I was identifying the uniform.

Sir John Monash had protruding ears, and differences in his mo. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Well he definitely seems to be more navy than army. The photo must be of someone else.  Articles about Charles Sherlock on Trove. It would definitely be interesting to know if anything is written on the back of the photo, but as it has been scanned in, I assume not.

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Just throwing this out there...

If Charles Snr was a boilermaker then its possible he too was somehow connected with ships.   :-\

There are records of a Charles Sherlock / Shurlock, mariner, b 1848 in either Hyth, Beds according to the 1871 census (RG10; Piece: 3777; Folio: 125; Page: 8;) or Heath Oxford according to the following TNA record:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11738569

In 1871 there is also an unmarried Mary Carter aged 30 from Liverpool lodging at Percy St Tynemouth.  The family she is lodging with is also called Carter so may well have been family.   

Possibly entirely unconnected but the 1881 census has the following in the Tynemouth Union Workhouse, North Shields:

Catherine Sherlock, 22, b Blyth
Mary Ann Sherlock, 3, b Bedlington
Isabella Sherlock, 1, b Blyth

I cant find Catherine in 1871 so whilst its a long-shot it may be worth getting the birth certificate of one of the children to see who their father was and whether he too was a boilermaker.  If nothing else it MAY place Charles the mariner in North Shields at the right time  ???

I'm liking the look of this unmarried Mary Carter.  Also hopeful Catherine may be a sibling perhaps? 

Offline Rahnee1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 October 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure the picture is Charles.  We have a matching picture of his wife.  Other family members also have the pictures and identify them as that couple.  Its definitely not Sir John Monash.  I believe majm was identifying the uniform.

I've seen the articles on Trove.  They certainly add to the picture.  And I'm certainly starting to wonder about how much truth is in the information he's provided.