Author Topic: Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey  (Read 11476 times)

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey
« on: Monday 13 October 14 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am trying to find out further information on Henry McCloskey b.20 Dec 1872 in Mullaghmore to Patrick McCloskey (18844-1904) and Ann Wade (c1847-1877).  I found his birth details but then nothing.  His sisters that I have found - Elizabeth (b.c.1873) Annie (b.1874), Mary Jane (b.1876-1877) and stepsister Margaret (b.1881) attended Culcrow School .  I think I knew of his existence when I checked the schools records but did not find any details for Henry attending this school at the PRONI sources.  I have been unable to find any Irish death or marriage or Census 1900.  Yet we have a photo which we think shows the brother Henry - one about 18 and another late 20's - we think located in Agivey, Aghadowey.  There are several Henry or H. McCloskey's (one spelt McCluskey) emigrating around 1890 from Derry but I cannot determine their place of origin in Derry.  (There are several Henry McCloskey's from Dungiven which I dont think are related). 

There is a view in the family that whilst one sister ended up in Glasgow, two sisters went to Australia (Annie and Margaret) and that family also went to US.  I have looked at the US Census and again find a couple of references to a Henry McCluskey or McCloskey with only one perhaps being right in the general details. I have tried to look at marriage in US sources but I am not sure I am getting them all, just several states?
How do I find out the details behind the general descriptor of birthplace - Ireland - in Census data ?  It doesn't look like it is collected.
Is there a general register of all marriages in the US ?
How do I move forward with this ?  Any thoughts would be welcome ?  Thanks.    :-\ ;D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
I should be able to fill in some details of the family in Ireland for you but may take a while to type everything out.

3 Nov.1862 Coleraine Registry Office: Hugh McCloskey*, age 20, carter, Landagivey, son of Hugh McCloskey labourer, to Nancy Wade, Garvagh, daughter of Thomas Wade labourer. (Marriage also reported in Coleraine Chronicle, 15 Nov.1862).

* possibly the Hugh McCloskey married c1876 at St. Mary's (Our Lady of the Assumption R.C. Church) Mary Gallagher.

Not to be confused with the James McCloskey, J.P. who lived in Agivey House and at Mullamore.

More to follow...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey.  It is my understanding that Hugh McCloskey is the brother of Patrick and my sense is that they married sisters.  Hugh married Nancy and Patrick, Ann.  Patrick's Father was Hugh also.  But I have not been able to find any details of Patrick and Ann's marriage.  Yes I had thought that James was the Agivey House, McCloskey. looking forward to further information.  Thank you so much.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Patrick McLoskey in 1901 census with wife Mary and a daughter Mary Jane-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Agivey/Mullaghmore/1516327

Patrick's widow in 1911 although she's more than 10 years older than 1901*-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Agivey/Mullaghmore/652190

* if 1901 age is correct she could be Mary Jane's mother but if 1911 is correct them she was unlikely to be the child's mother.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Quite unusual for two surviving sisters to be named Ann and Nancy since they are both forms of the same name but seems to have been the case here. Will copy out the 1862 newspaper notice shortly but the one other detail it gives is "Nancy Wade, Cullycapple" which means that Nancy was probably working there at the time she married but her father/family was in Garvagh.

I have a note (not copied out whole notice) for Constitution, 16 Jan.1904: Aghadowey Notes- Saturday evening last, Patrick McCloskey, Lissaghmore, died 58, died suddenly, wife, skilled workman.

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:24 BST (UK) »
Very quick reply... shall go online later again.......Mary Jane McCloskey in 1901 census is the daughter of Annie McCloskey who was born in 1893 and was brought up by Patrick and Mary.  Annie was working in Glasgow and married Patrick Murray in Glasgow in 1904.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Children of Patrick McCloskey & Ann Wade:
1. Ann (1874) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPMG-X97
2. Mary Jane (1876) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGF4-S4B

Are you sure about Henry being born 20 Dec.1872 Mullaghmore? I can't find a match yet in the civil index for his borth. This is the closest so far-
     Henry McCloskey, son of Bernard & Mary (McCloskey), born 28 Dec.1872
     https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGRS-WFS
Added- mother McClockey, birth registered Limavady district

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   1 Jan 1872 Patrick McCloskey married Ann Wade in Aghadowey Roman Catholic Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 October 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
1 Jan 1872 Patrick McCloskey married Ann Wade in Aghadowey Roman Catholic Church.
Brilliant. I hadn't gotten to look for that marriage yet. This would have been before the present chapel was built. The older chapel known as Bovagh was actually in the townland of Mullahinch but was in a terrible state of dis-repair for many years before the present one was built just before 1900 so services were held at various places for quite a long period.

Was hoping for a Will but no such luck although PRONI should have paperwork dealing with the administration. It may be as little as a printed form filled in saying he left a widow and X number of surviving legitimate children or it may contacin other documents. When my great-gradfather's brother died there was an affidavit in the file saying he relinquished his share to a niece in Ireland which gave his Philadelphia address.

"Administration of the estate of Patrick M'Closkey late of Mullaghmore Aghadowey County Londonderry Farmer who died 9 January 1904 granted at Londonderry to Mary M'Closkey the Widow" effects £14