Author Topic: Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey  (Read 11494 times)

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Yes ... here they are... x3
(1) In the garden with x2 women seated - we believe that the older woman is Mary McCloskey and Patrick is standing beside her in the photo where seated.  But I wondered if there was something on somewhere that they attended.  I think this must be close to 1904.  I think it is the same young man as in (2) and (3) but older now.  I thought the background was like nothing I associated with Agivey.
(2) In garden Mary plus Annie McCloskey and young man. Probably Agivey I think
(3) Afternoon Tea - again Mary and Patrick - and  her granddaughter believes it is a young Annie McCloskey ... again with a young man we thought must have been Henry.  Again I think this is outside at Agivey ?

Thanks.....

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
and trying again... (2)

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:09 BST (UK) »
and (3) Afternoon Tea at Home -

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Lovely photos (thanks for posting so quickly) but I don't think it's Agivey, Aghadowey or even Ireland.

Photo #3 shows what could be a church in the background (of local it was the style of a Presbyterian one) but it's not any of the following local ones- Aghadowey, Crossgar, Moneydig, Killaig, 1st 2nd or 3rd Garvagh, etc.

Perhaps that building isn't a church but the siting of the large house (background photo #1) doesn't match Agivey house.

Low building in photos #1 and #3 has a dormer window of a style not found here but it is very common in Scotland (certainly Ayrshire/Lanarkshire).

So, you mentioned a Glasgow connection- could they have been taken there?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 October 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Whooooh ......... that has always been my concern. But I am surprised that the one in the garden with Mary, Annie and young man you suggest is not Agivey ?  The one of the women seated and afternoon tea photo perhaps was taken in Glasgow. Back to the drawing board!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 October 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Photo number 2 could have been taken anywhere, I'm afraid.

Do you have a Glasgow address? streetview is wonderful for finding buildings, landscapes, etc.

Still wondering about the Milltown School records you found. The register will list name, roll #, date of entry, age at enrollment or date of birth in later books, religion, townland, father's occupation. Also, often school child came from and that they went to. I have some (not all) records for Milltown but not sure if the pages cover the right period). The only thing I have from Droghed is an old photograph of the school with the master outside. For Cullycapple I have a huge collection of photos (1890s onwards) and attendance registers (early 1900s onwards) so will have a look when I get a chance.

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 October 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Is Milltown another name for the Culcrow school ? Elizabeth, Annie and Margaret had all left school by 1891. The address that Annie lived at was Dumbarton Rd in Patrick, Glasgow. I would need to recheck the number, but I dont recall or know what years Annie lived there from.

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 October 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
If you had any photos from your collection which identified Patrick McCloskey and Mary or their children, that we could see it would be great.  Pictures of Culcrow school. The photos I sent you have only come to our family in the last few months so we have been trying to piece it together.  Sarah Blair was a great friend of Nana's and Annie's. Thanks for that information.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 October 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
'Culcrow' School was actually Milltown National School- you'll see it as Milltown in the registers. Found the pages I have front the registers and no McCloskeys but there are a few children from Mullaghmore there.

I have a large collection of Cullycapple photos but nothing for Culcrow the right period.

I'm thinking about going down to see a descendant of the Blairs in case they know something about McCloskeys....