Author Topic: nana's birth mother disappeared in 1901  (Read 52002 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: nana's birth mother disappeared in 1901
« Reply #54 on: Friday 21 October 16 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for reviving this thread

I never dismiss possibilities for Charlotte out of hand

I expect our Charlotte may well have lied about a few things 

But she WAS born in 1881   
   in Birkenhead after the census  ( Baptism date is 3rd July )

This birthplace was also wrong and by checking 1881 census
 the  Charlotte who married R Hughes was living with her mother in Llandudno ,(.found by Haywards detective work ..many thanks)

My Charlotte was born after the 1881 census

My spirits are always raised when there is a possible discovery 

And I haven't ruled out Lottie Percy with stepson Miles yet either
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 21 October 16 06:01 BST (UK) »
Ps the single Charlotte roberts  dressmaker in a shop in high St  Conway 1911 is also a candidate

She may also have lied in the letter to my Nana Maisie  about being married with a respectable son .
Just to keep her away ..as a business woman an illegitimate daughter ...may have spoiled her own reputation

Or that Charlotte may have married in her thirties .

I ruled out any Charlotte's found in 1901 0r 1911 census with siblings  or parents as our Lottie's only sister Mary was with their widowed father John Roberts at Edgar St in 1901

Also if a Roberts  sibling was named as witness on marriage cert it ruled them out .
I think that was the case for the Charlotte Evans mentioned on the thread

Our Charlotte had no middle name

RULED out

. charlotte Ellinor roberts born Liverpool 1881.  Who could may be the dressmaker in Conway 1911 .

Charlotte Prescott marriage. ..... she was older born different region Charlotte Roberts marriage in Ormskirk

Am always willing to take a look at any other Charlotte/ Lottie's with unknown maiden names

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
OK maybe dismissal was to strong a word to use....At least the James R Hughes marriage can now be proverbially 'put to bed'

Do you have Charlotte's date of birth

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 21 October 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elz  I presume you mean date of Birth ....as we have no idea what happened after she received first payment for baby Maisie  in march 1900

cant look for deaths without knowing her maiden name ..or if any of the Charlotte Roberts who died after 1920 were  classed as single  .

i'm just looking at my mothers records Charlotte was baptised at St peters Church Birkenhead on july 3rd 1881 photcopy of orig document

i thought we had the birth cert too ...for exact date

but i cant find it ...a note says April 1881
and i know it was after the 1881 census

father was john roberts a boiler maker 
mother caroline nee gardner

living at 27 greenfield st B.head for Charlottes baptism
on 1881 census same address he is a driller in shipyard age29 borm b'head
Caroline age 22  born Helsby Cheshire
 and Mary aged 3 b B.head

I will try and sort documents out this weekend ..have been working on Scots ancestors .

A summary by mums friend on ancestry gives birth as April 1881 .and i had a note saying 08/07/ 81
neither of which sounds likely

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 21 October 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
I get the feeling that the actual birth certificate for Charlotte hasn't been obtained.   Her birth was registered in the April - June quarter 1881 and a lot of people entering details on a tree (where the actual certificate hasn't been obtained) would record this as April 1881 with a link to the birth entry on GRO.   I think this is what might have happened here - if the full birthdate was known surely your records would show that and not just refer to month/year.   We also know that she was baptised 3/7/1881 but baptism entry doesn't show her actual birthdate.

With her actual complete birthdate you can search the 1939 Register for a Charlotte (or Lottie) with that full birthdate and if it shows her as married you would then have a name to search for in marriage records i.e. Mr A N Other to Charlotte (or Lottie) Roberts.   There could well be more than one possibility, of course.

This would seem to me to be the only resource open to you now in tracing what became of her.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 21 October 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
Oh Annette
 you are absolutely right ! Great Deduction

Can't believe we didn't check that earlier .  I suppose once birth parents age and address were known and we got caught up in the excitement of finding the Russian birth father we never went back to starting point

I.ve just been through all the documents mum collected and only the baptism is there for Charlotte

So back to drawing board will send for the certificate and follow your advice it's another opening so we don't have to give up completely just yet

I hope she was still alive in 1939 !

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 21 October 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this has ever been investigated: 1901 census at Castleford, Yorkshire shows an A C Percy 38 married born Lincolnshire and a comedian.   With him are a Myles aged 6 born Grimsby, Lincs. and a Lottie Percy 19 - married - born Birkenhead, Cheshire - a Comedienne!!  All shown as visitors.

Myles William C. Percy birth registered Dec.1894 Caistor.

Can find no 'A C Percy' bc.1864 Lincolnshire nor indeed any further trace of him.
Only record of Myles Percy is his birth and 1901 census.

Cannot see any obvious marriage between a Percy and a Charlotte/Lottie - perhaps Percy was not even his real surname.

Did they possibly emigrate after 1901 and before 1911?   If so, under what surname?  Myles itself is quite a distinctive Christian name but can see no trace of him in UK after 1901. 

Annette

I have managed to ascertain that A C Percy was Arthur C Percy ( there are lots of reports in newspapers describing his acting career. In the week of the 1901 census he is in a play which also includes Herbert Woodin,who was lodging in the same household as him on census night, and Madge Palmer who I suspect is the person described as Madge Woodin). I have also found a marriage notice for him in 1892. He married Mabel Warhurst in Derby and is described as Thomas Percy Carmichael of Glasgow also known as Arthur C Percy.
Isobel

Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 22 October 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
"Thomas Percy Carmichael of Glasgow"

Not on SP?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 22 October 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
There is a birth notice for Myles in The Era. He was born in Grimsby on Oct 1st 1894 described as a son to Arthur C Moore and Mabel Percy-Moore. Mabel also seems to have been on the stage, working occasionally with her husband as either Mrs Arthur Percy or Miss Mabel P Moore. Can't find any mention of her after about 1897 and Arthur seems to disappear around 1903.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)