Author Topic: Ceppi family in Dublin  (Read 11995 times)

Offline JaneSims

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ceppi family in Dublin
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hello JaneSims,
No I am not an Arigho!  My GGF name was originally Quaradeghini which he shortened around 1880 to Deghini.   Unfortunately he couldn't spell and the priests where he was married and who baptised his children couldn't spell his name either.  You probably know this, but Ceppi & Arigho were in partnership together, for a period, as Picture Framers operating from 8 Wellington Quay.  They also may have come to Ireland together as they were both Swiss and came from villages that were only 3 or 4 kilometres apart (near the Italian border)
Sorry! Yes, I do know the name Quardeghini as it took me ages to work it out from the church records! And yes, I have all the Ceppi/Arigho info - ads from newspapers etc. So your GGF was Antonio of Winetavern St? My family came from Cabbio but what I would really like to know is when. The first record I have is for 1847, when Peter Ceppi, my GGGF was working with Codoni in Paris. As it happens, Codonis are the other half of that side of my family. My GGM, Serafin's wife, was one. At that time, the Ceppis were at 12 Castle St. Then there is an ad in a newspaper in 1861 - that seems to be the first -  for Pietro Ceppi, 12 Castle Street. I don't know if Peter was the first to come over, but would love to find out. I'm also curious to know how many "sons" there were to P Ceppi & Sons. I know of Francesco, Serafino (my GGF) and Eugenio but don't know if there were more. Where does your family come into all of this? Are you still in Dublin? Many thanks for all of this!

Offline Valerio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Yes - my GGF John (Giovanni) of Winetavern Street (and several other addresses around that area).  The only Ceppis I came across were Francis and Seraphin (although I did come across a Eugine as a godparent somewhere but assumed it was a mistake!)  I did also discover that Francis attended the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art on Thomas Street in 1873 when he was about 22 years old and was described as a sculptor - actually he listed as T. Ceppi which I assumed was an error and should have been F. Ceppi?  I think that this info may no longer be available on the internet?  My Great Uncle went to the same school of art years later and painted the statues made by his father!  Did you ever get anywhere with the Arigho and Ceppi families travelling together to Dublin? Did they come through London or even England?

Offline JaneSims

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Yes - my GGF John (Giovanni) of Winetavern Street (and several other addresses around that area).  The only Ceppis I came across were Francis and Seraphin (although I did come across a Eugine as a godparent somewhere but assumed it was a mistake!)  I did also discover that Francis attended the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art on Thomas Street in 1873 when he was about 22 years old and was described as a sculptor - actually he listed as T. Ceppi which I assumed was an error and should have been F. Ceppi?  I think that this info may no longer be available on the internet?  My Great Uncle went to the same school of art years later and painted the statues made by his father!  Did you ever get anywhere with the Arigho and Ceppi families travelling together to Dublin? Did they come through London or even England?
Wow! I never knew about art school! I will dig around and see if I can find anything. Thank you. When Francis died, he was recorded as Charles, for some reason. I have no idea about when the Arighos and Ceppis got together. Frustrating!

Offline fjbyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Hope you don't mind me butting in here - I'm researching my GGGF, Giovanni/John Carri b.~1838 who came to Clonmel, Tipperary from the Como area in Italy.

I know from elderly family members' accounts that he supposedly travelled with his friend Giovanni/John Arigho - (or perhaps they met en route and ended up arriving together?), and they were both picture framers by trade. She knew that Arigho had a business in Christ Church Dublin from being told so in her childhood.

I found John Arigho's grave here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=81555378&ref=acom

I wondered if anyone here had any further information on that journey from Italy/Switzerland or travel records for them arriving. I know they came on foot over the alps according to my grandmother. Other elderly relatives seem to think he came from Belaggio, so not too far from the Swiss border and Caneggio where Arigho came from. Giovanni Carri seemed to stop for about 10 years in London first, and appears on the 1861 and 71 census with a picture framing shop. There he met an Irish wife, hence his movement eventually to Clonmel. I also heard that he went to visit Bianconi along with his friend Arigho when they first arrived in Clonmel, though I can find no record of Arighos in Clonmel at that time.

It may of interest from the Ceppi perspective that in the 1861 census Giovanni Carri is listed alongside a boarder "Ciappa Giovanni", aged 22, a journeyman presumably in picture framing also. I worked out just from google searching Giovanni as a surname that it's likely the surname and forename are mixed up, as seems to be the case for a couple of the other residents in the house. Perhaps this is actually a Giovanni Ceppi?

Also my elderly relative said that they fled northern Italy because at the time families were being made to surrender land and their sons to the Austrian army.

Here is the ancestry link: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1861&h=5727875&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t80862312_p34427943590_kpidz0q3d34427943590z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid

Offline fjbyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Also just happened to find this which may be of interest:

http://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/james-joyce-padraig-pearse-and-naas-parish-church/

Upon googling the surname Ciappa it seems fairly common, so I don't think the Ciappa boarding with Giovanni Carri is likely to be a Ceppi.

Offline JaneSims

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 July 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello there!
You're not butting in at all - very pleased to hear from you. I too would love to know how they travelled and have searched and searched but not found anything. The family story was that they came over with Bianconi but having looked at his biography, none of the boys was a Ceppi. I also heard about the journey on foot over the Alps. Now I have another name - Carri - I can start looking in other directions. Do let me know if you find out any more!
Many thanks

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 April 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hello! - just wondering, Jane, if you and your fellow posters are still interested in this topic?

My husband's family were Arigho in Dublin.

It has been fascinating to read what you have found so far, and I would like to know if we can help each other further.

Please let me know if you're still interested/active.
Thanks and
Regards
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline JaneSims

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 April 16 18:47 BST (UK) »
Yes!! I am still looking and still interested. Would love to hear more from you and to find out if we can help each other.
Jane

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 May 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Have been putting my information into order for you.

My husband is related to John Arigho's daughter Elizabeth, born 1866.  A sponsor at her christening was Peter Ceppi. :)
John also had a son William Henry born 1873, sponsor Siraphen Cappi.
Also,  Quardeghini child's sponsor in 1877 was John's 1st wife Ellen!
Lovely to see these people being friends later in their lives, long after John's travels from Switzerland and Italy.
Am going to visit my local familysearch.com centre near me, to search the Caneggio church films for John's father Baptist and his wife Constanza's details.

John had a brother Louis (name also of my husband's father), who married, we think en route to Ireland, a French girl Leontine Lefebvre. She also pops up as Maria Estella and Ellen! Not sure of her birth date, could be 1846.

Looks from the website irishgenealogy.ie that there are still Arigho's in Dublin, would love to contact them.
May put a message on the boards.

Cannot offer you any more information, but my husband has a prayer book published by John Arigho of Dublin, which is lovely to have. Have also seen John's memorial on find-a-grave.com.

Will keep digging and see if I come up with anything of interest to you.
Kind regards.

Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.