Author Topic: Chelsea Workhouse 1917  (Read 963 times)

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Chelsea Workhouse 1917
« on: Wednesday 15 October 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am lookng for any information or pointers on Chelsea Workhouse around 1917, I have found a couple of entries in the Register of Religious Creeds, my Grand Mother, b.1888, Uncle b.1913, twins Aunt and Father b.1917. I know Gmother is listed on birth certs as a cook/domestic of 250 Kings Road Chelsea, Uncle showing up on number of occasions on register, twins being born on 13/2/1917 on the register, and all of them there between 3/2/17 - 26/2/17 when they were discharged, any help would be useful, what does this all mean for example whence admitted, discharged, name of informant, and is there anyway I can find more information i.e. list of workers in the Workhouse around this year 1917, were they adopted, sent to families which I know they were, any help would be appreciated.

many thanks Micwood

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Workhouse 1917
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
some information on where records can be found:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Chelsea/

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi micwood

You haven't updated your profile so we don't know where in the world you are and if you are able to visit.

The surviving records for the Chelsea Board Of Guardians have been deposited at the London Metropolitan Archives. The catalogue of their holdings is here

http://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/CHBG.PDF

A lot has been microfilmed, some as you have discovered are available on Ancestry. If there is anything else of interest, you'll have to make a trip to either view what is on microfilm or order up original documents.

There are very few researchers in and around London who can visit and view on your behalf so you may have a long wait.

The LMA does have a research service but at £50 per hour is quite costly.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline micwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for info will check it out