Author Topic: What profession would be eligble for WW1 exemption - needed for home support  (Read 3336 times)

Offline serveta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The reason I ask this question is because I am unable to trace any service records for any of my grandfathers/great grandfathers or Uncles ....

David John Thomas - paternal grandfather - 1911 Census - Age 21 - Draper's Assistant
William Merritt Watts - great grandfather - 1911 Census - Age 34 - Coal Miner Hewer
Alfred Craggs -  great grandfather - left for Canada 1910 - Age: 23 - Boilersmith

William Thomas - grand uncle - 1911 Census - Age: 19 - Masons Labourer
Griffith Thomas - grand uncle - 1911 Census - Age 14
Joseph Britton Eaton -  grand uncle - 1911 Census - Age 29 - Quaryman Whinstone
Albert Frank Eaton -  - grand uncle - 1911 Census - Age 27 - Quaryman Whinstone

Lenoard Margeston Eaton -  grand uncle - only one I have found who served - ( 4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment & 15th Battalion. ( Home Service)  Queen's Own.  R.D.C. - Wounded in France shrapnel in his Back awarded the Silver War Badge

John Thomas - great grandfather -  1911 Census - Age: 54 - Masons Labourer ( may have been over standard age range )

Cecil Knudson -  maternal grandfather - underage as he was only 7 in 1914 and died pre WW2
Lars Jacob Knudson - great grandfather - died pre WW1

I am sure there must have been more enlistments but unable to locate any records so any guidance would be appreciated

Best Regards Ron

Thomas, Watts, Knudson, Eaton, Weepers, Bartram, Brammer, Francis

Northampton, Guisborough, Middlesbrough, Swansea

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What profession would be eligble for WW1 exemption - needed for home support
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
This might be helpful: http://www.1914-1918.net/msa1916.html

I wouldn't think any of the occupations you listed would qualify as reserved occupations, although personal circumstances may have been a factor, but I'm no expert. My own grandfather was a consciencious objector and spent some time breaking rocks on Dartmoor, following a spell in Wormwood Scrubs.

No doubt someone with more knowledge will come along soon.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What profession would be eligble for WW1 exemption - needed for home support
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 October 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some 60% of WW1 Service Records were destroyed by fire during WW2, and the Medal Rolls generally have  little or no identifying information. You could look for events that occurred during the war such as marriage, birth of children, as they would state their occupation.

Andy

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 October 14 02:12 BST (UK) »
William Merritt Watts - great grandfather - 1911 Census - Age 34 - Coal Miner Hewer is the most likely of your relatives to have been exempted. That was one occupation that was once available for women (and young boys) but by 1914 they had been banned from the coal mines. Women now reinstated if they are any underground coal mines left. A coal miner could however volunteer for the Services and would be accepted.... and sometimes killed!

My own grandfather was an underage (look the other way there is a war on) coal face miner during World War 1.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
If you go to
http://anguline.co.uk/free.html and scroll down one of the free downloads is The Schedule of Reserved Occupations
It is for the 2nd World War but the occupations are similar to those in the 1914-18 war
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
Some things to bear in mind:

- as has been stated some 60% of the army service records were destroyed by enemy action in 1940
- men may have served through the entire war as home postings and so have no medal entitlement and therefore no Medal Index Card
- not every man served with the Army - we also had a Navy and the RFC/RAF

possible places to look:
- find out if your local library has access to the British Newspaper collection [most do] and do a surname search 1914 - 1918
- check to see if the Absent Voters' List 1918 for the relevant area has survived, that should list men serving away from home
- whilst at the library check for any back copies of church magazines, school magazines and workplace records for the war period - all of those may well have published details of service

good hunting

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
There were no exemptions in WW1. If a man believed he was of better use at home he would have to go before a local tribunal.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline serveta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank You everyone for your time and effort to reply .. I have a more clear understanding to how to progress  my research and a more focused approach to finding where these guys and other relatives may have spent there time during 1914 - 1918

Cheers Ron 
Thomas, Watts, Knudson, Eaton, Weepers, Bartram, Brammer, Francis

Northampton, Guisborough, Middlesbrough, Swansea

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 October 14 08:35 BST (UK) »
No exemptions, my great-great uncle was killed, he was a miner, my great-grandfather died while POW he was a widower with three children.
I would look at the voters registers, a lot of the serving soldier that were eligible to vote are mentioned as absent voters.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb