Author Topic: John Overall and Frances Marriage - Bermondsey Area?  (Read 5434 times)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Overall and Frances Marriage - Bermondsey Area?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 18 October 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
HO107/ 1524/276 p 8

1851    census  for  William Overall ,  transcribed  as  OSERELL
   William  a  Bellows   maker  born Stepney ,  aged 57   wife Frances born Norfolk   aged 53,   daughters  Eliza  and  Frances    aged  22  and  21  both  born Aldgate

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 18 October 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
William Overall   the  Bellows maker    dies in 1863 ,   probate of his will granted to  John  Overall   Bellows   maker , and  Henry  Overall,  baker    sons   of  deceased

Offline Tim Brayshaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 19 October 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
The wills of both William and John are on ancestry in the PCC wills collection.  Alternatively both are available for download from the National Archives

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D28957

and

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D117082

I am finding the whole Overall family fascinating.

Barbara

Thank you for those, the answer is getting closer and closer.

In the will for William the Cornmeter he mentions William, John and Sarah. However i can not seem to find any of their births at all.

When you find William Overall the Cornmeter on the 1841 he is with what looks to be his wife Sarah as they are within 2 years of each other in age.

Then when i look back at my John Overall which i believe to be the one mentioned in the Cornmeter's will his children are;

William
Sarah
Ann Elizabeth
Fanny Margaret Susanna
Louisa

Obviously i will be sure of the John Overall Sarah Butcher marriage when i get one of their child's birth certificate, but there seems to be a strong relation there with his first two children having the same names as his mother and father.

Can anyone spot any of William, John or Sarah's baptisms? The children of William Overall the Cornmeter, and what seems to be his wife Sarah. Sarah seems to have passed away in 1849 in bermondsey, with an estimated birth year of 1786. William the cornmeter is born 1784 it seems.

Sheffield/Yeadon/Guiseley - Brayshaw
Baslow - Wild(e)
London - Overall
Folkestone - Butcher
Little Steeping / Willoughby - Briggs and Ancient
Candlesby - Hewison and Rutter
Badsworth/Upton/South Kirkby - Thorp(e)
East Markham - Wilmot(t)
Middleton Tyas/South Cowton - Martin
Newton Upon Ouse - Goodbarn
Darley Dale - Hatfield
Wentworth/Tankersley - Allott and Trippett
Chedworth - Wilson and Tuffley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 19 October 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
It would be wiser to wait for the birth cert before doing any more searching.  We are already on page 6 of this post and are not yet 100% sure which family we are tracing.

All we know for certain is that the 1840 marriage certs shows father as William occ Corn Meter. 

However - until the birth cert arrives we don't know whether that is even the right marriage.   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tim Brayshaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 19 October 14 01:06 BST (UK) »
It would be wiser to wait for the birth cert before doing any more searching.  We are already on page 6 of this post and are not yet 100% sure which family we are tracing.

All we know for certain is that the 1840 marriage certs shows father as William occ Corn Meter. 

However - until the birth cert arrives we don't know whether that is even the right marriage.   

Indeed, i am very impatient and as i am with many brick walls with the amount of time i have spent doing my family tree it never seems a waste of time even if it is the wrong family. There is someone with a tree on Ancestry that puts it altogether nicely, and it looks to work on my line of thinking also;

They have;

William Overall (the CornMeter by the looks of it) Born 1785 to William Overall and Sarah Hart.
he has two brothers John Overall 1789-1842 and James Overall.

My (Possible) William Overall's brother John Overall, married a Frances Hammenden and had;

Frances (1815-1867)
John William Overall (1818-1898) - The gentleman i incorrectly believed to by my John.
Ann Overall (1822)
Mary Ann Overall (1823)

Then he has John William Overall (1818-1898) marrying a Sarah Standerwich and having 12 children, two of which he has pictures for on his tree - (usually indicating it's his direct ancestry). This would make me think that he has confirmed the Sarah Standerwich marriage.

Obivously i have spent the £9.25 on the certificate now, but it seems to point to Sarah being a Butcher as it stands.

Baslow - Wild(e)
London - Overall
Folkestone - Butcher
East Markham - Wilmot(t)
Darley Dale - Hatfield
Chedworth - Wilson and Tuffley

Offline Tim Brayshaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »

I have just received Fanny Margaret Susannah's birth certificate, born on the 1st December 1851 and her parents are on the certificate as John Overall and Sarah Butcher. So my initial research and hunches were correct. I think i need to re-read through this thread to see if i can take this line any further now i know it is the correct people.

EDIT:

John's father is William the Cornmeter, and mother is a Sarah. This is clarified by the will, and my post before this about the other family tree i found goes towards this. I need to try and find the births of William now who was apparently born in 1784 according to his death information. The maiden name of John's mother Sarah. The other tree i found relating to this has it down as Hart.
Baslow - Wild(e)
London - Overall
Folkestone - Butcher
East Markham - Wilmot(t)
Darley Dale - Hatfield