Author Topic: the new inn, foxburrow lane, crawley,oxfordshire england  (Read 3139 times)

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the new inn, foxburrow lane, crawley,oxfordshire england
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
I was told that the new inn, (Now called the crawley inn) and is now a pub,  located on foxburrow lane in crawley,oxon,uk, might have once been a private home and that my ancestors the fawdreys, may have either lived there or built it for themselves or someone else.  Would anyone have any information on this?, it would be greatly appreciated as i would like to add it to a family history story that i am compiling.  Someone once told me that there are inititals in the stone of the building with a F/ something that they believed was the fawedrey initials.  Thank you for any help,   goblin from the usa
ward, fawdrey, judd, wright

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: the new inn, foxburrow lane, crawley,oxfordshire england
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
http://www.crawleyvillage.org.uk/about-crawley

This page states it was originally a farm house

also mentioned here where it says it opened before 1871
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=116969
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
When were the Fawdreys resident there
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Have you checked google maps for the building? Has the person who told you about the initials carved in the stone seen it for themselves? Did they say exactly whereabouts on the building it is?

If I were you I would contact the Crawley Village website that Rosie linked to, and ask them about the initials and if possible to take a photo of the house and close up of the initials and send them to you. As you are in the USA I imagine some kind person may be willing to do this favour for you.  :)

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.  Actually i was at the now crawley inn, the week of september 21st, but i didnt go in or go to look, as it was full of motorcycle's and people drinking outside everywhere and it was a bit rowdy.  .  I could prob ably email the now owners and ask if they could send a photo of the initials.  My ancestors lived in the hailey area from around 1790 to 1865.  Supposedly they also lived at a farm called Downhill Farm on Downhill lane, in Hailey,oxon,uk.  I searched tax records since i didnt know if they owned downhill farm or were just tenants.  The tax records show a JN Smith as the proprietor, and James Fawdrey as the Occupier, so that didnt give me a definite answer.  I would have to try and search old deeds somewhere.  I think when it says someone was the proprietor that meant they owned it???  All help is greatly appreciated.  marlene
ward, fawdrey, judd, wright