Author Topic: FILGATE  (Read 8770 times)

Offline Shaznki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
FILGATE
« on: Friday 01 July 05 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for any info on Emma Maria Filgate
Born abt 1810
Died 1883 Brighton Parnell Auckland New Zealand
Her Father was William Filgate occupation Magistrate. Mother unknown. Siblings unknown

Emma Maria Filgate was the 2nd wife of James Carlton Hill of Rathdrum they were married 22 June 1839 Ireland 

Thanks
HILL ~ Wicklow Ireland & New Zealand
PHILLIPS - FILGATE ~ Wicklow Ireland
MIDDLETON ~ Staffordshire & New Zealand
HART - GREEN - TURNER ~ Staffordshire
PEARCE ~ Gt Malvern Worcestershire
HYDE ~ Madresfield & Powick Worcestershire
BARNES - BAYLIS Worcestershire
BEDWARD ~ Hanley Castle Worcestershire & Surrey
BROWN ~ Newcastle Upon Tyne & New Zealand
ROBSON ~ Hedden on the Wall Northumberland
SMITH ~ Wales & Somerset
JENKINS & DAVIES ~ Wales

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: FILGATE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 06 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shazenki,

Some of the catalogues of the National Register of Archives are held at the National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. Those documents include family and estate papers of the Filgate family of Lissrenny, Co. Louth (NRA 31163). This would probably be the family of which Maria was a member. Five Filgates are listed on the 1822 Louth Freeholders List.

A little bit more research reveals the marriage of Maria Filgate, daughter of William Filgate, of Co. Louth to James Hill. The marriage was mentioned in the Index 1 of the Nenagh Guardian News of Co. Tipperary in 1839.

A gentleman named Charles Filgate is mentioned, in the Connaught Journal, Monday 5th April, 1824 with an address at Castlegar, Ahascragh, Co. Galway in 1824. He was the person responsible for receiving proposals regarding the sale of lands from part of the Estate of Sir Ross Mahon, Bart.. A further mention of him is shown with an address at Mount Pleasant, Ballyglass, Claremorris, Co. Mayo where he was acting as a receiver

Shaw's 1850 Dublin City Directory mentions that William Henry Filgate became a Barrister in the Michaelmas Term in 1836 and in 1850 had premises at 40, Westland Road, Dublin

A mention of Thomas William Filgate and William Filgate is shown in the Armagh Guardian 15th July 1845 as being members of the Grand Jury in Dundalk

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland hold the Macartney Filgate papers (D2225). I have a hunch this may be the same Filgate family.

All the Best,

Christopher

Offline Shaznki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 06 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Sorry for the delay in replying
Many thanks for the info and links gives me a bit more to work with very much appreciated.

Best Regards
Shaznki
HILL ~ Wicklow Ireland & New Zealand
PHILLIPS - FILGATE ~ Wicklow Ireland
MIDDLETON ~ Staffordshire & New Zealand
HART - GREEN - TURNER ~ Staffordshire
PEARCE ~ Gt Malvern Worcestershire
HYDE ~ Madresfield & Powick Worcestershire
BARNES - BAYLIS Worcestershire
BEDWARD ~ Hanley Castle Worcestershire & Surrey
BROWN ~ Newcastle Upon Tyne & New Zealand
ROBSON ~ Hedden on the Wall Northumberland
SMITH ~ Wales & Somerset
JENKINS & DAVIES ~ Wales

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Sorry for the delay in replying
Many thanks for the info and links gives me a bit more to work with very much appreciated.

Best Regards
Shaznki

Hiya Shaznki,

No problem re. the delay. I am just back from Dublin. I have taken out a membership at the National Archives in Pearse Street. I paid a quick visit to the National Library in Kildare Street. If I cannot get more info about the Filgate family at PRONI I may get some more info when on my next trip to Dublin..probably early May.

All the Best, Chris

Offline Eoghan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently come into a multitude of handwritten music manuscripts from the Filgate Family of Lissrenny. A few different names come up, There is an Anne Filgate and also a Hudice Filgate. The Majority of the works are from between 1830-1880. Just thought I'd let you know just incase this can help.

Eoghan

Offline cailin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 10 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Eoghan,

Just wondering if you still had any of those documents?  My maternal family have links with the Filgates in Lisrenny, and it would be of real interest to my Mum...

Many thanks,

Sara.