Author Topic: Bielstein: help deciphering 1845 Alien list  (Read 642 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bielstein: help deciphering 1845 Alien list
« on: Sunday 19 October 14 00:12 BST (UK) »
Attached is part of an 1845 passenger list.  I've cropped the image but have left the top half to assist in deciphering.

I'm interested in what is written under the sixth name of Andreas Bielstein, Musikus, who was part of a travelling band of musicians.    Can anyone decipher the note?  One of the words looks like it starts with "Musik...."

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bielstein: help deciphering 1845 Alien list
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 14 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

I wonder if he was the (at least, perceived) 'leader' of the group?

Seeing the number 11
Then the word after 11  - first thought - but actually ,could it be mehr (more) and
Then the last word I agree starts with Musik -  and I think it is Musikers
And back to the first word - I think it could be a form of include inkludieren | inkludierte | inkludiert]

So, I think possibly something like:
Inkludiert 11 mehr musikers
Inclusive (with) 11 more musicians

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bielstein: help deciphering 1845 Alien list
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 October 14 02:20 BST (UK) »
Lovely Ambly, thanks.

I got stuck on the endings of every word and hadn't actually spotted the "k" in the first word.

I wish it was a comprehensive list because I know his wife and her family were musicians. I also know that at the time he had a toddler son called Amadeus.  Her birth certificate hasn't been found yet but according to later census his daughter was born 1845 in Hamburg - so were the children on the ship too?

I appreciate your help
Cheers, Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke