Author Topic: Charles Johnstone  (Read 22315 times)

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Johnstone
« on: Sunday 19 October 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for information on Charles Johnstone. Charles married Marion / Mary Ann Kewley June 1867 in Melbourne Victoria Australia.Charles was born in Cambridgeshire England 1846. I cannot find proof of  Charles and Marion Marriage. Marion was born in Whitehaven England 1846. I have found this information on their eldest daughter  Grace birth records. Grace was born 13 April 1872 WaggaWagga. I would like to find the death of Charles and the birth records of his son Archibald Johnstone born14 January 1880 Wilcannia  NSW. Any information on this family would be greatly welcome.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Johnstone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Well she certainly wasn't married to Charles JOHNSTONE in June 1867 as she gave birth to a son in 1868 who was probably illegitimate as he is registered under his mother's maiden name & his father's name.
The son died shortly after birth:

Birth:

RODDEN Unnamed Male b. 1868 WALHALLA #26703R
Father: Thomas
Mother: Marian KEWLEY

KEWLEY Unnamed Male b. 1868 WALHALLA #26703R
Father: -

Death:

RODDEN Unnamed Male age 1day d. 1868 WALHALLA #9910R

KEWLEY Unnamed Male age 1day d. 1868 WALHALLA #9910R

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
Death:

RODDEN Thomas age 45yrs d. 1882 BENDOC #4411
Father: John
Mother: Eliza EGAN

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 October 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You have Grace as born Wagga in 1872, and you have the birth cert.   May I please ask for further details for her place of birth please, as recorded on the birth cert.   How certain are you of the spelling of the surname ..... who was the informant on that birth certificate?  The info required for birth registrations in NSW was provided verbally until around WWI era, so the spelling can be questionable.   

I cannot find Charles (or Chas or variations) JOHNSTONE (or variations) at Wagga or Wilcannia in 1872, and the NSW BDM district of Wagga Wagga covered a large geographical area, not just Wagga, the town.    :)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hcastle/grevilles/lists/vwxyz/wag.html#wagga  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hcastle/grevilles/lists/vwxyz/wen.html#Wilcannia

I also looked for Charles in the NSW Electoral Roll for 1870, for The Murrumbidgee, but did not find him there either.   The 'nearest' sightings (hence my question re spelling of his surname) on that roll was for Charles JOHNSTON of Groongal, residence Murrumbidgee River and Charles JOHNSTON of Kerarbury, residence Murrumbidgee River.   However, these two were NOT in the Wagga Police District, but in the Oxley Police District.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 October 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Birth:

JOHNSTONE Grace b. 13/04/1872 WAGGA WAGGA #18646      
Parents: Charles & Marian

Death:

JOHNSTONE Grace d. 31/12/1891 BROKEN HILL #4457
Parents: Charles & Marion   

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Death:

JOHNSTONE Marion age 69yrs d. 10/06/1912 BROKEN HILL #5095
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

Burial:

JOHNSTONE M 13/06/1912 Anglican, ANGL B, 97.
http://www.bhcemetery.com.au/

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 October 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
I purchase Grace Johnstone Birth transcription from Joy Murrin NSW Birth Death Marriages. Details for grace birth. Birth place Wagga Wagga. Father Charles Johnstone his Occupation Contractor Charles age 26 Charles birthplace Cambridgeshire England, Parents date of marriage June 1867 Melbourne, Mothers maiden name, her age was 26, Marion birth place Whitehaven England, Informant Charles Johnstone, Father Wagga Wagga, nurse and or Mrs May, registered 3 June 1872 Wagga Wagga, The earliest know spelling of Johnstone  comes from Grace birth record. Hope this helps you JM.

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 October 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Merlin, very interesting, glad you pointed that date out,  A family member gave me a little information on the Johnstone family and it has that Charles and Marion Married 24 May 1871, Melbourne Victoria, I cannot seem to find any matching dates for this family, Which is why I purchased the eldest child birth certificate. I cannot find a birth for my great grandfather born 1880 in Wilcannia. The oldest thing is that the Mother Marion /Mary Ann maiden name is always different, on Grace birth the Mother is Marian Kelly on Grace death record Marion maiden name is Quelen, then on Archibald ( charles and Marion son )marriage cert her name is Mary Wise.mmmmmm confusing. You are spot on with Marion Death.
Thank you heaps, hope I can get some answers.

Offline DEB966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 October 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
The last mention that I can find on Charles and Marion is in a Trove digital newspaper in October 12th 1892 where they lived at Stephens creek NSW,